PDA

View Full Version : Apostlebird with nesting material

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Captured this fellow at a cemetery not far from my work, where a colony (probably escapees from a nearby wildlife park) inhabit the lawns and tree-lined parks of the burial grounds. I must be honest, I felt a bit eerie walking around the lawn graves trying to get some lined up without catching a headstone in the image and also at the same time trying my best not to disrespectfully walk allover the lawn grave sites. Though I do notice at the lawn cemetery where my mom is buried, people around here don't seem to give two hoots about walking on lawn graves.

I spent a good half hour with several specimens of the s endearing and not too perturbed Apostlebirds, this image being one of my faves showing it having just picked up some dry grasses to use in the building of its nest.

Hope you like it, please feel free to smash me with critique if you feel so inclined. :) I wonder if it is oversaturated? I patched a small part near the URC where a bright dead leaf was a bit too dominant, otherwise BG is as is on RAW image file.

30D, 300mm f/4L IS USM, f/5.6, 1/1000th, ISO400, Exp. Comp 0. HH, approximately 80% of full frame.

Fabs Forns
04-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Akos, I'm not familiar with the bird's colors so I can't tell you about the SAt, but the grass looks OK to me. I'm not a big fan of perching birds in the ground. Having said that, the relaxed pose with nesting material makes up for that :) I think light was a bit on the strong side?
Well exposed and sharp where it counts.
If you are close to them, a great opportunity to make a good portfolio on them. I bet they will get pretty used to you.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the comments Fabs. While this is a perching bird, they also spend lots of time foraging on the ground, part of their natural behavior so you were not aware of that I guess.

It was captured at 07:04 on an October morning last year and wonder if a slight pull back of exposure could address the "strong light" appearance?

I do have some neat portraits as well. :)

Fabs Forns
04-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Will look forward to them Akos :)

Randy Stout
04-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Akos:

My first thought when I saw the image was of the light being a bit harsh, but then looked at the shadow and knew it couldn't be too late in the day. Part of the effect may be that since most of us aren't familiar with the bird, we tend to judge it against the black birds we have, so it appears harsh to us. Hope that makes sense.

I agree with Fabs about the saturation. I can only judge by the grass, looks pretty natural.

I might give just a bit more room at the bottom for the feet. Not much.

Look forward to others in the series.
Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
04-22-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't think I have seen this species before. I like the details and nesting material. A lower angle might have prevented the appearance of strong light. Photographing birds at cemeteries is a bit odd. I found some rare birds here at a cemetery and know what you mean.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Thank you Axel. Couldn't agree more with lower angle. I will eventually return NOT wearing my nice pants and shirt that I do for work. :D

Marina Scarr
04-22-2009, 09:35 PM
"Arkosh"

Really like seeing the detail in this birds head, and the nesting material is a big plus. I do wish for a bit more space all around b/c I think it would compliment the habitat.

Nate Chappell
04-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Nice detail and sharpness here Akos, I agree about getting a lower bg.

Stu Bowie
04-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Super detail captured on the bird Akos, and the grass in the beak adds to the image. The grass looks clean enough to have got down and dirty. LOL.

Brian Wong
04-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi Akos!

My first impression is that it also feels slightly harsh, as well as slightly over sharpened. It may be due to the dark shadow around the breast, and on the background. Possibly moving to your right to help the light angle? I think the background has a lot of contrast ... it feels slightly noisy and may also contribute to the strong light appearance. Agree about trying to get lower. Good head angle.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Thank you for the constructive feedback. :)