PDA

View Full Version : Grey Seal at sunrise

Jasper Doest
01-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

I just got back from the UK, photographing Grey Seals. Since I've been to this location many times, I thought it would get really difficult to get away with some new creations. Fortunaly we were treated with some good sunrises and sunsets to photograph some more silhouettes like I did last time. This was image was created right after sunrise. I positioned myself so that the sun would be behind the seal...creating this magic glow around the seal.

Canon EOS1Dmk2N
Canon EF17-40/4.0L USM @ 40mm
1/250 @ f/11
ISO320, RAW
Handheld

Krijn Trimbos
01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
WOW what a sky buddy, looks absolutely awesome, the little amount of detail on the sand around the seal is excellent! The silhouette is very strong, and I like the pose a lot, I just wish the tail was a bit higher so it would have been seperated from the black FG a bit more. But man does this make me wish I was there with you last weekend!!

Vincent Grafhorst
01-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Jasper,

You definitely succeeded in creating a different kind of seal image compared to most of yours that I have seen. Very nice and I am looking forward to another one. I wonder If you got something a bit tighter and maybe even closer and lower (with the body even more above the horizon)?

Cheers

Fabs Forns
01-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Lovely silhouette and sky, love the glow as you describe it :)
Welcome back!

Phil Colla
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Jasper,

I've enjoyed your gray seal images for some time. You are right, it is tough to find new ways to look at a subject you have worked with over and over. This image is a good example of moving beyond to new compositions with a familiar subject, I like it. I agree that it could use a lower angle so that more of the seal is visible, but it looks like you were quite low already and maybe that was not possible. Well done.

soleynicola
01-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Is this Donna Nook, yet to brave the coldness of winter., Such a beautiful shot.. love the silhouette against the dawn light.!!!

Stunning.

Christof Ruch
01-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi Jasper, I love this one, very well done!
How do you meter in this situation?

Alfred Forns
01-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Beautiful !!!! Love the mood Density changes through out the image are just perfect Big Time Congrats !!!!!

Jasper Doest
01-31-2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks for all the comments!

To answer the questions regaring the metering.......It is actually quite simple....I use spotmetering....I know the photograph that I have in mind...and that the highlights of the sun will have to give me a measurement of about +1.5 +2.0 EV. Since I use manualmode I just dial in a shutterspeed and aperture that I like that give this combination....after that I try to approach my subject and at that moment I don't have to think about my exposure anymore. I made a testshot earlier, have checked it on the historgram, and adjusted my exposure if needed. So I can fully focus on the subject and composition and if my creation reflects the mood that I am looking for.

Nonda Surratt
01-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Really wonderful image! I think the bit of light on the sand in front of the seal takes this right over the top!