PDA

View Full Version : Young Sable

Ken Watkins
04-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Taken in Mapula Concession, Northern Botswana, 15th March 2009.

EOS 1D MkIII

500mm F4 IS hand-held

F6.3, 1/1000, ISO 800, EV +2/3rds

Marvelous how they pose behind the long grass?
Should I have taken out the termite mound?

Fabs Forns
04-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Very nice capture, if tight at the bottom for the feet. Some may find the vegetation inf front of him distracting. I like it, since I still him and it gives me a sense of the habitat. The whites areas, do distract, maybe burning them or multiplying will take the edge off them. I wouldn't have taken out the mound, just make it darker.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Ken,
I would have tried a wider composition with space all around. I would have used a lower shutter speed and a narrow aperture. Since you handhold, I don't know whether that would be a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
04-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Ken,
I would have tried a wider composition with space all around. I would have used a lower shutter speed and a narrow aperture. Since you handhold, I don't know whether that would be a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
04-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Fabs, T
hanks for your comments, I will try to see what I can do about darkening the termite mound.

Sabyasachi
The only cropping is of the left hand side that included a partial sable. As you say handholding can sometimes be restrictive, and other times not, the major limitation is the ability to brace yourself or find somehere convenient for your bean-bag, unfortunately I had left that in my car at Maun Airport.

Stu Bowie
04-24-2009, 05:32 AM
You have exposed his colours perfectly Ken, and what a lovely pose. I would try and darken the lower half of the image, and always try and leave space for the legs and feet, even if you cant see them. Great capture Ken.

D. Robert Franz
04-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Love Sable they are magnificant animals. Pretty much agree with Fabs here....