PDA

View Full Version : Cliffs in Utah

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
04-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Took this several years ago in Southwestern Utah. What really beautiful country. I think maybe the horses are a bit too centered. Let me know what you think.
Nikon D2X
2005:09:26 13:07:57
24-120mm @ 120mm
180mm (in 35mm film)
1/2500 sec, f/5.6
Mode: Manual
Metering: Spot
ISO: 200
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 46.2MB
Image size: 2464 x 1632
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Low
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: Adobe RGB (1998)

Steve Canuel
04-21-2009, 10:42 PM
I like the nice western feel to this one. The uniformity of the grass contrasts nicely with the rich color and texture of the cliffs. Looks like it could use a slight CCW rotation. If it were mine, I might go with something similar to this (although I'd prefer to keep more of your pano look)

Christopher Miller
04-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Love this Wheeler. The colors and textures of the cliffs make a nice backdrop for the horses. You're right that the horses are a bit too centered. Would look better if they were more to the left.

For some reason, as I look at this, I find myself wondering what the larger scene looked like. Did you take any wider shots by any chance?

Dave Mills
04-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey Wheeler, you created a nice image...I like the crop that Steve came up with and the image needed some rotation. I think there is a good balance of interest between the horses and the backround and they seem to compliment each other....

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey Mac,
I like Steves crop moving the horses more left but I may also take a bit off the top. I would have preferred a bit less shadows on the horses but I feel you did very will with the 2 heads and positions. The colors are also very complimentary.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks everyone for their thoughts on this pic. I had a different idea on the crop. Instead of the crop Steve submitted, I decided to move the horses instead of the crop and am pleased with the outcome. Roman, here is the modified image with some of the top cropped off, I don't like it as well as the original. Christopher, I am sorry to say I didn't get a wider shot although I wish I had. Thanks again and let me know how you like the repost.

Steve Canuel
04-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Wheeler,
Your repost looks good. Horses are in a better position and you still got to keep the cliffs.

Roman Kurywczak
04-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Hey Mac,
With the position the horses are in now the top is better without the crop. If you get the time and are so inclined try nudging the horses about 1/2 inch higher.....more in the middle of the grass. This may even further improve the comp.

Christopher Miller
04-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Position of the horses looks good now, but agree that it looks better without cropping the top.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
04-24-2009, 04:16 PM
OK Roman, consider them moved. I like it how about you?

Roman Kurywczak
04-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Hey Mac,
Definitely stronger position. Nicely done!

Mark Fuge
04-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Nice shot.

I like it, but wonder what it would be like as a vertical. Not sure how tall the cliff behind the horses is, but the image wants to be tall for me. I would put the horses in the lower left corner and try to get a little sky on top, as a second exposure. That would make them of interest, but show the "majesty" of the cliff.

The other thing it appears to have a redish cast. I see it in the horses. Might be the dust bath they just took, but ???

As noted, I like the above, but would have tried a second exposure as a vertical to see ... what if.