PDA

View Full Version : Glowing Tree Nymph

Randy Stout
04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Well, I posted a couple of butterflies about a week ago from my first visit to the Meijers Gardens in Grand Rapids Michigan. They were pretty traditional shots, with flash. Nice enough I guess, but I wanted to do better. Had a chance to go back today and try natural light. It was a bit lighter outside, which helped a bit. This nice butterfly was very cooperative, so I could work the situation. I went through quite a range of setups, and so far this is one of my favorites. This is full frame, post in NX2. Smoothed some bright hot spots in background, but wanted to keep some sense of the environment, so didn't blur it completely. I originally straightened the stem to vertical, but didn't like the effect, too stiff!

All comments appreciated. I am mainly a bird guy, so trying to learn a bit about this macro stuff.

D700 70-200 with TC 1.4 Canon 500D ISO 500 f/8 1/25s hand held

Bruce Murden
04-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Looks like you have a great start at "this macro stuff". I like your balance of sharp subject and a good amount of blurred background. I'm glad you left the stem angled -- it adds to the life of the image. My only suggested change is to crop a little off the right hand side. It feels like too much green there to me, but others may disagree.

Nice job branching out. And I'll need to get to Meijer Gardens sometime soon!

Julie Kenward
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Bet you all didn't know that I've been to Meijer's Garden as well? Yup, my best friend lives in Cedar Springs and we made the journey out there about two summers ago. I love the place...especially that big horse!

Randy I think this is an excellent macro. You've got a good focal plane on the BF so it is almost entirely in focus. I love what you did with the BG...took out the distractions but left the sense of environment...it's lovely.

I'm not having trouble with the green on the side but could go with a little off the top to bring him even closer to the top of the frame - not a lot...just a slice. As presented, it's lovely to look at!

If I can get back up to Michigan this year I'll let you all know and we can road trip to Meijers!

Randy Stout
04-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Julie:

Thanks for the comments. I mentioned to Bruce in a PM, that the butterfly exhibition is closing on April 30th. It is a fairly long running, early March to 4/30, but temporary display. I try to get up each year, but only this year did I really work at it a bit.

No tripods,monopods or other support allowed. Can be pretty crowded, but certainly a lot of fun.

Cheers

Randy

Joseph Martines
04-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Hmmm. So you are saying that they won't have the butterflies in mid - June. I am planning on being there then. Guess I'll have to stop at my favorite haunt - "The Butterfly House" in Whitehouse , Ohio. Jules - you would love it!!! One of the best butterfly haunts I have ever been to!!

Randy - Nice shot. Am still trying to figure out the equipment it was taken with. Butterflies are hard to do off a tripod. So far there are no restrictions at the Butterfly House but, safe to double check.

Randy Stout
04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Joseph:

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the equipment.

Nikon D700 camera
Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR
Canon 500D close up lens
Nikon TC 14 E II 1.4x teleconverter
No flash
No tripod (no support allowed in exhibit)

Ask if questions

Randy

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey Randy,
Very well done keeping the BF parallel to the plain at f8. Wings spread will generally require more but does bring the BG issue come into play.....but here it is nicely handled. could go either way with the crop as I generally like them tight......you know my preference. Nicely done.