PDA

View Full Version : Greeting the afternoon sky.

Roman Kurywczak
04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Sun came out this afternoon so I decided to try this similar to my OOTB high key post; http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34776 but with the blue sky. Now in theory.....backlit and blue sky is impossible.....that is if you use the sun for the backlighting. Brought the Gerbera I bought at a local home center outside.....used the natural light to get the underside front lit with the help of a silver reflector. Used the 10 million candle power flashlight to mimic the sun backlighting it. At least a dozen attempts for each keeper.....sure beats the film days!
Canon Mark 3 with the Sigma 180mm macro mounted on tripod, 10 second timer engaged, at ISO 800 for 1/125 second at f20.
Sorry I haven't been around lately but looking forward to getting to a few comments later this evening.

Joseph Martines
04-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Between you and Mandrake (Gus Cobos) I am learning a lot of tricks.

Thanks for sharing.

Julie Kenward
04-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Dang, you're setting that bar UP there! I might have to take my gerberas back and get something else instead.

I don't care how many you had to throw away - if you get just ONE of these it's totally worth it. Brilliant!!!

Bruce Murden
04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Another good Gerbera in your series. Thanks for the technical tips as well! My only critique is that the green leaf is too bright compared to the bloom for my taste. I'd rather have the bloom be the focus of the image.

Richard Lovison
04-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Technically well executed and I like the creative use of artificial back lighting. I feel where this image may suffer is in the composition. I'm left with the confusion of whether the primary focus is on the flower or the leaf... maybe if the physical connection between the two was shown that would have helped.

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Very good points Bruce and Richard and I do believe worth investigating! I felt that the leaf and flower were equal stars and that why I chose this presentation. I am debating the Gerbera just by itself at that angle though for my next endeavour.