PDA

View Full Version : Poor Fish

Scott Frye
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Neotropic Cormorant at Gilbert Water Ranch (Gilbert, Arizona)

The color of the water is untouched as it is the glow of early morning sunlight with the light actually coming from the right. I like the high angle as it seems to heighten the drama (taking a tip from the movies).

1/2000 at F6.3 and ISO400
Bigma at 500mm
Canon 40D

Juan Aragonés
04-21-2009, 02:41 PM
The glow on the water is really nice and I love the action . Very good head turn in cormorant´s head and the open mouth of the fish adds a lot of drama to the action. I have to disagree with you about the steped angle, a lower angle would produce a much more interesting and out of focus background and has more isolating power centering our attention on the main parts of the image. Of course, your shooting angle is not bad, By the way, I lamost forget to say that I love tha small and bright water drops on the bird´s plumage. Good job :-)

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Fortunately the BG is a seemingly uniform color, thus the action is still not lost in a jumble of weeds or grasses. I too agree with Juan about the lower angle indeed. I personally feel that lower the better that being as close to eye level with the bird as possible. Naturally, I'd compromise that too if getting low meant including weird background elements I wouldn't like to introduce to the image. Thanks for posting. :) Love it! Feel sorry for the fish, even though it is natural. (I am softie)

Phil Ertel
04-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Nice capture with great action. I agree with Juan that the water drops are a plus. I mind the angle of capture. I would try and brighten up the eye to see if you could bring out the color more. I might also try and tone down the highlights on the beak.

Fabs Forns
04-21-2009, 05:17 PM
A higher angle tend to diminish the subject as opposed to a lower angle tends to magnify it.
Colors are very pretty and the fish expression makes the image for me.

Stu Bowie
04-22-2009, 02:16 AM
I think the angle works fine, as you can see into the open mouth of the fish. A lower angle wouldnt have allowed that. This is nice and sharp, and of course the droplets adds to the image. Well captured Scott.