PDA

View Full Version : Silver Gull

Leo Berzins
04-21-2009, 06:41 AM
These gulls are common in Australia and regarded by most people as a nuisance so their beauty is largely unappreciated.

Canon 40D, 400/f5.6L, 1/1000s, f8, ISO 400, Ev +2/3, handheld while lying flat, fill flash with BB, FEC -1 2/3,
full frame, minor levels adjustment and sharpening only, extra catchlight from flash cloned out

Phil Ertel
04-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Nice portrait. Whites look good with nice detail in the bird. I like that the background has some color gradation and isn’t one color. If it were mine I might try and crop some off the left at the bottom of the V in the gull’s back. Thanks for sharing.

Juan Aragonés
04-21-2009, 08:39 AM
A beautifull gull species. That white eye is fantastic. Exposure looks perfect in my opinion, BG is smooth and creamy, very good, eye contact and head turn are OK. The head is a bit centered in the composition and, considering that this is an image with a lot of white, I would consider the possibility of saturation increase of the BG to made the bird to pop-up even more. Good job

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Very beautiful composition with excellent exposure. I really like the BG and how the top layer compliments the grey in the gull's wing. Very sharp and a lovely image Leo. Many thanks for sharing.

Alfred Forns
04-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I like it a lot Leo White color/texture just look mighty fine !!! Agree with tweaking the bg to make the bird pop out a little more while preserving the feel !!! Big Congrats !!!

Stu Bowie
04-21-2009, 12:06 PM
There is always a fine between blowing the whites and perfect exposure, and I think you nailed the latter Leo. This is also pin sharp, and love that eye. Are these the gulls all over the cricket pitches at your coatal venues? - or shouldnt I mention cricket. LOL.

Brian Wong
04-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Hi Leo!

Very nice portrait, and nice exposure. Maybe a bit centered for my taste. The red color, vs the white & smooth gray background, should really make this pop.

Leo Berzins
04-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Thankyou all for your comments and suggestions.

.... Are these the gulls all over the cricket pitches at your coatal venues? - or shouldnt I mention cricket. LOL.

Yes, Stuart, these are the gulls at our cricket grounds. I remeber the first two tests in South Africa but my memory is a bit vague after that.;)

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi Leo

I really like the portrait and couldn't agree more that this species is absolutely stunning in its own right! I am always glad to practice on them since they are so used to us people. :)

I also feel it is a little centered for me, I would want to see the eye fall on or near the rule of thirds intersecting points as in the cropped repost. I hope you don't mind me doing so. :) I gathered this is from Pambula too?

Congrats on a well exposed and superb image (crop and framing complained about duly of course). :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-21-2009, 08:19 PM
or shouldnt I mention cricket. LOL.

I thought crickets were insects. :eek::eek: :eek::eek: FIFA mate, FIFA!!! :cool:

Rob Drummond
04-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Nice one Leo, great job on the whites. I agree with Akos re framing but I think his is a little too far the other way.

cheers Rob

Leo Berzins
04-22-2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks again for the suggestions and Ákos for taking the time to crop and repost.

I have cropped from the left and extended the canvas by the same amount to the right. I also boosted the saturation a little.

As I gain more experience, I hope it will become second nature to me to prefocus on the eye and recompose in these situations, as per Artie's sage advice in ABP II.

Simon Bennett
04-22-2009, 03:21 AM
The delicate white plumage is well captured in this image.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-22-2009, 03:46 AM
THe original also looks great Leo, I was only putting my thoughts out. I am far from experienced or expert unlike many other BPN folks.

Your repost is fabulous too! :)