PDA

View Full Version : Before and After (backlit)

Fabs Forns
01-30-2008, 09:42 AM
This was in Santee Lakes, the first morning of the IPT

I lowered the exposure at conversion, used Nik Color Efxe for Brilliance and Warmth and the Vignette Blur filter twice to enhance the foggy effect present and take it close to what I saw. Cropped for composition.Selective color and addeed a few points in Black to the blacks.

Fabs Forns
01-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Here's the final:

Jim Poor
01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
This has a nice intimate feel like you're looking in on a family out for a stroll at sunset. I like it.

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Fabs -
Very nicely done
I've noticed you and Robert use Nik and PS filters a few times in reposts
Is there a good reference you can cite to help learn how to use them effectively
Thanks
Peter

Fabs Forns
01-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Fabs -
Very nicely done
I've noticed you and Robert use Nik and PS filters a few times in reposts
Is there a good reference you can cite to help learn how to use them effectively
Thanks
Peter

Peter, Nik is very easy to use since your picture gets in the center and you get you options on the side. Just play with the sliders.

Judd Patterson
01-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Fabs, what a lovely scene and great processing. My only wish is that the gorgeous orange in the center of your image carried over bit farther to the right side...that big patch of bright yellow tends to draw my eyes. Looks like quite a lovely morning!

Terry Eddington
02-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Fabs, I like the changes you were able to create, the most significant to me being how the vignetting and lightening the wake of the middle bird clearly shifts this bird to the main subject. Like Judd, the yellow on the right is distracting and disconcerting to me. I'm open to what PS can do but I'm enough of a literalist, the original version is the favored of the two versions.

Bob Reimer
02-02-2008, 03:32 PM
To be honest, I almost prefer the original. The vignetting gets a bit too much into the foreground duck for me. Just me, but I'd be tempted to crop off some from the right to get closer to the wake of the swimming ducks and perhaps a little off the bottom. Now that I flip back and forth, I see you've done about the crop I was playing with from the original. Another possibility is just to not make your vignetting quite so tight to both the top and bottom birds.