PDA

View Full Version : Rue Anemone (Thalictrum thalictroides)

Ed Vatza
04-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Another from yesterday's visit to Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve in New Hope, Pa. This image was made along the Marsh Marigold Trail. I hope I got the id correct. This one stumped one of the workers at the Preserve.

Canon 30D; Canon 70-200mm F/2.8L IS w/ 500D Close-up lens/filter; handheld.

1/640 sec @ f/10; ISO 400; -1/3 EV; FL 165mm

Julie Kenward
04-20-2009, 08:16 PM
This, my dear friend, is...is...is...

Pefection.

Truly. Great comp. Great BG. Great focus and DOF. Lovely little flower...holds my interest as I study it. The colors are gorgeous and all compliment each other.

Good golly you nailed this one!

Only thought I have is to check the WB of the whites...perhaps a bit of a pinkish hue? It certainly is complimentary if it's on purpose...if not, give it a second look.

Ed Vatza
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Quite the eye, Jules.

Obviously, I can whiten the whites (and I don't even need Clorox!).

But the Rue Anemone is described as having white or pinkish flowers that are 0.5 to 1 inch wide (Haywood and Monk, Wildflowers of Pennsylvania, 2001). What you see, is the pinkish cast of the pinkish flowers. Note the flowers are not pink they are pinkish!

For what it is worth, I would not have known that had you not raised the question! ;)

Julie Kenward
04-20-2009, 09:31 PM
See? Now we both know! I wondered if perhaps that wasn't the case...that's why I left it open for you to check. After messing with WB on images all weekend I think I can spot a color cast a mile away right now!

Joseph Martines
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
See, like I said Jules, you have the eye for color!!

Now all you have to do is take lessons in magic, like Mandrake!!

Inside joke......

Nice capture Ed but,that goes without saying.

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Hey Ed,
Glad to see Bowmans has some activity. I usually head up there for the ladyslippers. You handled the whites very well even though it wasn't totally overcast but there is detail throughout. The inclusion of the FG vegetation was fine as it is unobtrusive and the flower is placed perfectly. Nicely done.