PDA

View Full Version : IR Camera Conversion Question

Ed Vatza
04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
OK, so I am an eyelash from taking the plunge. As I believe I have said previously, I have a Canon Rebel XT that is in excellent condition and not being used. It is a perfect candidate for IR conversion.

I do plan to go with Lifepixel. I called today with some questions which I got answered but, unfortunately, left me with a couple more after I hung up.

I want to go with the Standard IR filter with which I could go either black and white or get a hint of color such as the blue sky I noted in Tony Whitehead's post.

My biggest question deals with calibration. The standard calibration lens for the Canon DSLR is the 50mm f/1.8. I just happen to have that $69 wonder and it resides on the Rebel XT. If I understood Daniel of Lifepixel correctly, best results will be obtained with the lens the the IR camera is calibrated to which would be the 50 1.8. I asked about also using the IR-converted camera with my 24-70. He said that it may work but more likely I would have to deal with and compensate for severe front- or back-focusing. If I wanted to use the camera with the 24-70, I should send it along and have the camera calibrated to it at an extra cost, of course.

This IR camera is meant to a diversion for me, nothing else. I wnat to be able to play around with IR landscapes during the harsh light/high contrast parts of the day. As far as I am concerned $325 is enough already so I don't want to add on to have the camera calibrated to the 24-70 instead. I can and will use it with the 50 as well.

I'm rambling. I know. But I am looking for input on the calibration issue. Once calibrated, does it really become a single lens camera? What are your experiences? I actually started to think about going to an IR filter instead that I could used with any body and any lens (all my lenses except the 50 1.8 are 77mm).

Any advice, tips, answers, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Fabs Forns
04-20-2009, 07:54 PM
I've used Life Pixel but didn't calibrate my lenses.

Ed Vatza
04-20-2009, 08:01 PM
If I remember correctly Fabs, you shoot Nikon. According to Lifepixel the default calibration lens for Nikon is the 18-70 AFS DX lens (like I said, for Canon it is the 50mm f/1.8). So if you didn't send any lens in for the calibration, they would have used the 18-70. Is that a lens that you use? Or do you use others? Have you had any focus issues with other lenses? Just checking on what I might expect from the conversion.

Fabs Forns
04-20-2009, 08:18 PM
I use the 24-120 Ed. results are good, non-calibrated.

Ed Vatza
04-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Well, I sent the Rebel XT off to LifePixel today for the standard IR conversion using the standard 50 1.8 lens. They should have it by Tuesday. I hope to have it back in around three weeks, I guess. Should be fun to use during those harsh light mid-day hours.