PDA

View Full Version : Gerbera Fire

Roman Kurywczak
04-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I've been on a strong light kick lately and with all the blooms out in the Garden centers decided to play around a bit today with the overcast and rain. This one was a bit dark during my initial take but decided I liked the strong light. The gerbera looks like it's on fire. Ambient light exposure then backlit the flower with a mini maglight. didn't use a reflector as I wanted to keep the stem dark.
Canon Mark 3 with the Sigma 180mm macro mounted on tripod at ISO 800 for 1.3 seconds at f32. As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Julie Kenward
04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
I wondered how long it would be before we saw you here! I better get on those Gerberas of mine...

I really like the composition - the exact placement of what you left in and what you left out - seems perfectly balanced to me. I also like the "matte" lighting - it's subtle but it really does remind you of fire.

I'm dying to put it into the liquify filter and turn those petals into flames!

Ed Vatza
04-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi Roman,

This is an absolutely stunning image as far as I am concerned. The light is just perfect. It looks almost like a sunburst. You should stay in more often! :)

Gus Cobos
04-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi Roman,
This is a sweet image...The color rendition is superb, I like the soft tones and hues, combined with the fine details and texture of the petals...the backlighting puts it over the top...well done Sir...:cool:

Joseph Martines
04-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Can't tell if it's dawn or dusk??

Very pleasing composition and lighting.

Thanks for sharing.

Kaushik Balakumar
04-21-2009, 04:48 AM
Love the patterns here. The back-lighting idea is lovely - it has indeed brought out the rich colours. Also liked the graduated dispersal of (back)light on the petal.
Might however darken the green stem further (just my tastes) to increase the impact of back-lighting.

Dave Mills
04-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Stong image Roman...Picked a great subject for backlighting and handled very skillfully.

denise ippolito
04-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Roman, Very beautiful,the backlighting is great-The petals look like flames!

Richard Lovison
04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey Roman,

Love the symmetry,colors and back lighting. The only flaw I noticed, and a minor one at that, is what looks like a watermark or something on the petal (about the size of a dime on my monitor) in the upper right corner.

Bruce Murden
04-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Cool stuff. I mean really warm light. I mean -- nice image Roman! Love the subtle backlighting coming through.

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-21-2009, 05:38 PM
That's a man with vision!

Great idea, it worked perfectly, when I saw the thumbnail it looked like a pineapple or some kind of bromelia. Those petals looks like they are in fire! Great job.