PDA

View Full Version : Mansion on the rocks

Kyle Marie Barcelos
04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
I saw this on my way to Newport Beach RI, but there was no parking, so on the way home, i had my husband just pull over and took from the window. I made it B/W not just because i love it, the sky was not very blue and i thought it would look good with the rocks all around. All comments welcome.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/3460816040_b61b819db9_o.jpg

Canon EOS SXi
EF-S 18-55 mm
Tv 1/250
Av 11
ISO 200

Dave Mills
04-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi Kyle...I like your basic composition. House on the upper left, nice rocks in the foreground with water as a leading line out to sea. I took the liberty of cropping the image since there there was a blank sky which didn't add much interest to the image. I lightened it a small bit added some contrast. Since I lightened it I burned some of the lighter foreground rocks. After posting I could have darkened them a tad more...

Kyle Marie Barcelos
04-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Sweet picture, and I'm not just saying that because I'm married to you either. Haha. Next time you want me to stop in the middle of the road for a pic give me a little heads up first so we don't almost get rear ended again!

OOPS I Keep fogetting to sign you out and sign myself In. Brian Barcelos

David Thomasson
04-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Very pleasing composition. Did you take any shots of the "cottages" on the Newport cliffs?

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi Kyle,
Brian definitely had me confused there for a while! I think Dave's crop is definitely the way to go as the sky is the most uninteresting part and this re-focuses the emphasis on the house. The light appears a bit harsh as the shadow play between the rocks would be more dramatic with a better light angle. I do like the way you seperated all the formations,,,,even the rocks in the central part of the water and Dave's crop further emphasizes the diagonal of the water. Having been in this situation myself plenty of times before I hope you get many more opportunities to explore this place without risking life and limb! Looks like you are close by enough for that.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
04-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all the comments, I really love Newport and hoping to go back when the weather gets nice, the cliffs and rocks are beautiful, want to explore more. thanks again.
Kyle Marie