PDA

View Full Version : ET in the Southwest

Rich Ikerd
04-20-2009, 02:35 PM
ET in the Southwest, Goblin Valley State Park, Utah
D2X, f/8 @ 1/500 sec, 24-70mm @ 58mm, iso 100

You can really let your imagination run wild in Goblin Valley. The formations look like someone took piles of wet clay and drizzled across the landscape. I found it difficult to come away with some really nice images since the ground is just about uniform in color throughout the valley. But it is a wonderful place to visit and wander around for a bit (even if it is out of the way).

Michael Pancier
04-21-2009, 06:36 PM
so cool. what part of Utah was this? Reminds me of the hoodoos at Escalante National Monument.

Ed Cordes
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Really nice perspective. The image gives a real lonely feel. Could be the planet Mars.

Phil Ertel
04-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Pretty neat!. I like your composition. The rock formation is engaging. To me it appears to have a face. Nicely done and thanks for sharing.

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Hey Rich,
You handled the exposure very well and having been there a few times realize the difficulty you had. I always found that getting much lower here helped isolate the goblins more against the sky. Just a thought for your next endeavour out there. I do like the comp as presented with the FG rock but would have preferred it as a vert as the LH side is the most uninteresting part of the image. All in all pretty well done in a tough location.

Rich Ikerd
04-23-2009, 12:21 PM
so cool. what part of Utah was this? Reminds me of the hoodoos at Escalante National Monument.

Michael, this is in Goblin Valley State Park in Utah. It is about midway between Capitol Reef National Park and the Moab area. Not an easy place to find as it is out in the middle of no-where, but it is worth the drive and hike.