PDA

View Full Version : Down and Dirty !!

Randy Rosenthal
01-30-2008, 07:28 AM
In a couple of weeks, my wife and I are heading down to the Gulf Coast for a week away from work. We will be staying in Rockport, TX. Looking forward to some quiet and maybe some shots of the Whooping Cranes that the area is so famous for. Have a guide lined up already to get me, hopefully, close in.

Regardless, I am also anticipating doing some shorebird work, which will require getting down to their level, based on all of Artie's recommendations. Which brings me to my question and need.

Since I am new to the 500 F4 L IS and its handling characteristics, what platform do I need to attach to the foot to get me down low, but keep camera and lens out of the sand and dirt??

Look forward to your comments.

Thank you

Randy

Alfred Forns
01-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Randy Glad you will be trying the shorebirds for below Down and dirty is the way to go I would suggest getting an Anderson Ground Pod from Artie The lens foot attaches to the device Will keep the camera out of the mud

A couple of pointers Never touch the sand with your hands To get low just kneel and lean forward placing the lens on the sand If you need support use your hands on top of the lens While shooting place your body at an angle it will make it easy on your neck

For advancing just crawl and your elbows and knees Had any Army training? Its just like basic training crawling with a rifle Getting up use the top of the lens for some support

btw I use a Frisbee under the ground pod Fits perfectly and allows me to slide it on the sand better Also take with you a clean towel and brush to clean lens Sand usually blows around the lens and is good to remove

Will be fun !!! Looking forward to your posts form the beach !!!

Blake Shadle
01-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Randy, this is absolutely my favorite way to make images out in the field. I agree with Al about the Anderson Group Pod (my dad and I use some called the "Shadle Slider" ;))... Depending on the location, you should be able to maintain clean equipment. For instance, out at Ft. Desoto, you really have to play close attention to your gear to make sure you stay clean and dry.

I'm not all that good at paying attention :D

I use a LowePro belt system when I'm in the field, so everything stays toward my back. (Keeps things out of the water/sand if I'm laying on my stomach). Take a paint brush with the handle broken off. It's very effective for brushing the sand off of your gear, and also your hands.

Take care and make some great images!

Blake