PDA

View Full Version : Still Waiting

Mike Moats
04-20-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm still waiting for the big spring pop here in Michigan. I was going to go out this morning to check on the bloodroot flowers but rain for the next few days http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/smileys/icon_frown.gif Since I haven't any new spring shots yet I'll post a previous shot. This frog in duckweed is my number one seller at my art shows, it outsells every other image three to one. Who would think so many people would hang a frog in their home. I did my first show of the spring-summer art shows and despite the bad economy here in Michigan I had better then expected sales, so hopefully it continues. An interesting fact for you all, the very small particles around the larger duckweed is called wolffia. which produces the smallest flower on the planet. I read somewhere you can fit ten of the flowers on the head of a pin.

Gus Cobos
04-20-2009, 03:58 PM
I like it Mike,
Mr. Frog feels right at home...:D I like the placement of your subject in frame...well done...I can see why it's a big seller...:):cool:

denise ippolito
04-20-2009, 04:44 PM
That is some dense duckweed! I love the composition with those cute little eyes looking up-no wonder it's your biggest seller!!

Julie Kenward
04-20-2009, 04:45 PM
So far, frogs have totally eluded me. I've seen back legs hopping off a log or two and into the water but that's as close as I've gotten.

I do love the green-on-green and I can see why this is a big seller. I would love to get those little tiny flowers under a bunch of extension tubes and have a look, that's for sure!

Ed Vatza
04-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I dunno, Mike. It must be that frog/prince thing working! :p

He's looking mighty fine in that duckweed. And the placement is just perfect.

Anita Bower
04-20-2009, 06:34 PM
I agree with all the comments. Will add that the green in this image is gorgeous! Interesting that people like frogs. Glad your show season if off to a good start!

Jackie Schuknecht
04-21-2009, 07:34 AM
This is the shot from your book. Love the comp and the green on green. Just curious to know if you get red trilliums down your way? I have found a field up here.

Mike Moats
04-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Hey Jackie, I have never found a red trillium in my area, but I have had photogs that have claimed to see red trillium in SE Michigan, but I have yet to find any.

Richard Lovison
04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Mike,

This is a fantastic image. I love the green on green and the pattern in the duckweed makes a great background offering interest though not powerful enough to be a distraction to the main subject.

For some reason I seem to be focused on spots today. :) It's hardly worth mentioning though my eye is slightly distracted by a slightly soft, circular patch of duckweed about a frog head's distance away to the right of the frog. There's a light patch in the lower right corner as well.

Jackie Schuknecht
04-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Wasn't sure if they make it all the way down to MI Mike. Found a field with white mixed with a lot of red. It is the only area where I have ever found them. (one field)

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-21-2009, 05:31 PM
A very interesting story behind those flowers Mike!

Lovely frog and nice texture you have on that vegetation.

Bruce Murden
04-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I hear these guys all over the wetlands behind my house. Always loved this shot!