PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Ever Warbler Image?

Arthur Morris
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
This Northern Parula was photographed this morning on Dauphin Island, AL with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens, a 25mmm extension tube, and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/100 sec. at f/5.6. Fill flash with Better Beamer at -2 2/3 stops. I love the BKGR and the pose. As expected the previous image of the bird singing suffered from bill tip movement. A recording of the bird's call was used to attract the bird to a shaded perch. He responded best when we alternated playing the parula call and the songs of other nearby birds (none of which responded).

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Kobus Tollig
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Great shot. Great comp and bg here. Like the pose and i like the fact that you included the leave. Very natural shot well done

Brian Wong
04-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi Artie!

The pose is wonderful, and I love the very direct eye contact. I image is very colorful and is a beauty! I also like the way the lower leaves frame the bird, and look pristine. I'm not sure about the tiny white web on the thorn(?)

Randy Stout
04-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Artie:

Fine technicals as expected. What really works for me is the pattern of the leaves, how they echo the lines of the bird. the large one on the right mimics the breast of the bird, and the left side give the impression of overlapping feathers.

Excellent detail in bird, and even in the perch you can see fine detail.

Birds as Art!

Randy

Stu Bowie
04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Lovely pose Artie, and I like the softer colours on the Warbler. I think a vertical crop would work here too, with you moving him to the left, and taking some off the right. I agree with the others, that the leaves add to the image. How do you find the 800mm?

Karl Egressy
04-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Wonderful pose, and background, Artie.
The pose is almost telling me that the bird was a bit suspicious about the sound.

Bob Malbon
04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
So Art, Dose this mean your Warbler trip is done? Sweet capture but I might a vertical crop with all the line going that way. Keep 'em coming!!! Bob
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Mike Lentz
04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
My Favorite Ever Warbler Image? How come?

Tack sharp and great colors! I agree that a verticle would work on this fella. I'm on my uncalibrated work monitor soooo... are the whites in the upper chest area slightly toast? I probably could have waited to get home and check, oh well. I like the image, but would be surprised if you didn't have alot of Warbler images that are nicer.

Fernando Cerra
04-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Very, very nice image Artie, I like the bird pose and the background color, great details, very sharp, but you are playing with fire at such low speed, could you have increased the ISO ?

Art Kornienko
04-20-2009, 06:14 PM
bg is super but not crazy about the perch including the leaf at bottom. Breast seems just a tad hot and looks like a small speck directly right of the breast, quarter of the way in from right side? I sure love the way you provide the details of the shot and wish everyone would do the same, it helps the rest of us mortals get better.

Kim Rollins
04-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Artie-

Good capture here.
As I looked at the bird I noted a red color cast to the highlights. Not being there and actually seeing this bird I do not perosnally know if that is a favorable thing or not and that would be a call that would be up to you as a photographer.

Out of curiousity I did place it where I could see a color histogram of the image as posted too and that confirmed the red color cast does exist in the hightlight. That said, where I notice it is in the front breast & under wing above foot and I suspect there should be some coloring there but wonder if it should have as much red highlight as it does?

Again not being critical here but just wondering if there is not too much red tint there (and realizing the bird may be actually colored that way) . For your consideration repost here with slight selective color adjustment to tone down the red highlights slightly.
http://upload.pbase.com/image/111569490/original.jpg

What you think on "my wondering'?

Edit: Now Artie has explained the red belongs and I have seen other image of it too so I am no longer wondering.

Arthur Morris
04-20-2009, 07:40 PM
How do you find the 800mm?

I go out to the car, look in the lens bag, and it is always there.

Actually, I love it and use it 100% of the time. With warblers, a bit closer focus would be nice for sure (just under 20 feet without a tube), and sometimes I miss f/4 but all in all it is a killer lens and the great focal length and never having to use the 2X TC are great pluses. That plus improved IS and super-sharpness.

Arthur Morris
04-20-2009, 07:44 PM
The pose is almost telling me that the bird was a bit suspicious about the sound.

As the bird was singing as I photographed a sequence (as I stated above), I am curious as to what in the world you are talking about (or implying). Please explain.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
If I really had to think of something to enhance the image for my taste, I would really love to see it as a vertical comp as that vine seems to cry a tall frame with the entire leaf contained within, nicely balancing your Warbler. Perhaps I would love to see an image with the bills open (movement blur would not bother me at all as it would only add the singing impact for me) albeit a more side-on view. Regardless of my evil thoughts :D I still love the image as presented. Congrats Artie! :)

Arthur Morris
04-20-2009, 07:56 PM
re:

How come?

See the comments above.

Tack sharp and great colors! I agree that a verticle would work on this fella.

A vertical would have been nice but I am only human. At my age I am lucky to be able to get a warbler in the frame at all.

I'm on my uncalibrated work monitor soooo... are the whites in the upper chest area slightly toast?

Not at all. Perhaps calibrating your monitor before making similar suggestions would be a good plan.

I probably could have waited to get home and check, oh well. I like the image, but would be surprised if you didn't have alot of Warbler images that are nicer.

I have some on film that I like a lot but with the pretty much perfect BKGR and the cool pose I like this one very much. In addition, like most photographers, I tend to get excited with my new images.

Arthur Morris
04-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Yes all. I would have preferred a vertical, but these are hungry migrants and rarely sit still for more than an instant or two at most. Most are longer then than they are tall and despite the fact that we were playing a tape you have no idea where the bird is going to land. When they do land, you are fortunate in most cases to get off a frame or two. In this case I made 14 images of the bird in less than 3 seconds. The first two were my favorites. Had I tried to go to vertical I would have come up empty.

Arthur Morris
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey Kim, Thanks for your efforts and your wondering. The orange-red area below the black on the neck is one of the things that is most beautiful about this species. But you did do a good job of eliminating it.

Karl Egressy
04-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Sorry I just tried to be funny. I guess it did not work.
The picture is wonderful and the pose is great.
I apologize if you feel that my comment was inappropriate.

Manos Papadomanolakis
04-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I really like the colors,pose and the bg!!!

Kim Rollins
04-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Hey Kim, Thanks for your efforts and your wondering. The orange-red area below the black on the neck is one of the things that is most beautiful about this species. But you did do a good job of eliminating it.

I don't wonder anymore! ;-) Thanks for the info.
I should have Googled it in the first place. ;-)

Mark Dumbleton
04-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Lovely image Artie! All has been said, so adding my well done on another stunner!

Mike Lentz
04-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Sorry I just tried to be funny. I guess it did not work.
The picture is wonderful and the pose is great.
I apologize if you feel that my comment was inappropriate.

Karl, I took it as being funny as well. Remember
Don't be shy; all comments welcome. :D;)

Juan Aragonés
04-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Artie this one is not one of your best in terms of composition. It would work much better in vertical format and with the complete, uncroped, leaf under the bird. Sharpness is terrific. If this one were mine I would try to made the green BG a little bit more warm and light and to rework levels in the eye. :-)

Tim Rucci
04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Artie,

Aside from everything else that's been said, the contrasting colors are simply captivating. What a suberb capture! The deep green background really sets it off.

Maybe your next book cover?

Mark Fuge
04-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Artie,

I love the shot, but would have to agree with Juan and others on the horizontal vs vertical of this image. I also am drawn to the damaged part of the leaf, as shown. I think either showing all of the leaf, or better not showing the damaged area, would improve it. I know you got what you got, but you want critique, so here it is. : > )

However, if I had that one and could put my name on the bottom, I would be happy as is! ; > )

Chris Hansen
04-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Artie,

Without even reading the others comments the first thing I thought to myself that it would look better as a vertical with some of the rhs cropped off. I am drawn to the OOF tail as well. Those nits aside I love the background and I think it's really cool the way the bird is arching its head and body up. It really draws you in.

Chris