PDA

View Full Version : Red-breasted Merganser

Bob Malbon
04-20-2009, 09:50 AM
http://bobmalbonphoto.zenfolio.com/img/v7/p161147658-5.jpg

This male was feeding in the Salt Marsh at Granite Pt. (Maine) this AM. Used car as a blind. 1DMk3 on 500f4 w/1.4 extender at iso 400, 1/1000, f5.6, manual exp., AIservo - hand held, pano crop -Bob
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Daniel Cadieux
04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
In my experience these guys are pretty difficult to get close to - looks like the car worked well as a blind! Good parallel pose here, including the head angle, and good job on a tough subject to expose properly. The image seems to be needing a bit of CCW rotation, and I would add back some canvas above. The catchlight taking up most of the pupil makes the eye look odd.

Stu Bowie
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I like the exposure on the head Bob. Comp wise. I would move him down in the frame, and add to the top as per Daniel's comment.

Mike Lentz
04-20-2009, 07:16 PM
In my experience these guys are pretty difficult to get close to - looks like the car worked well as a blind! Good parallel pose here, including the head angle, and good job on a tough subject to expose properly. The image seems to be needing a bit of CCW rotation, and I would add back some canvas above. The catchlight taking up most of the pupil makes the eye look odd.

EXTREMELY difficult to get close to! You get difficulty points just getting the image. :) It seems as though getting lower wasn't an option, but would have helped IMHO.

Bob Malbon
04-20-2009, 07:42 PM
When I said "car as blind" It was stay in car or watch them fly away!
Saw that rotation just after I posted but had to run off to a job!
Thanks for the most helpful crit!!! Bob