PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper Warbler

Rich Steel
04-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Hi

I went out at first light on Saturday morning specifically to look for some newly arrived grasshopper warbler. These are relatively scarce birds but easy to locate by their distinctive call. The main problem is trying to get a clear photo as they love to lurk in deep vegetation. It was a great session and I managed to stay with one bird for over an hour which kept hopping up on to a bramble bush to burst into its churring grasshopper song. Interestingly it was the first time I have notice how their whole body rapidly vibrates as they sing. Wonderful bird in some beautiful early morning sunshine.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/gropper_2_2009.jpg

Taken with 1Dmk3 and 500mm lens on monopod at ISO400 F7.1 and 1/640s.

Cheers

Rich

John Chardine
04-20-2009, 08:37 AM
This is outstanding Rich. You have the whole bird in focus, a nice pose and head angle, great BG, and beautiful soft, warm light. The budding bramble adds interest and a splash of spring-green colour. The only thing I would do is remove the tiny twig at the LL and the two dark smudges at the UR extreme edge of image.

Mark Dumbleton
04-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Stunning Image! Perfect head angle, Bird sharp, well balanced composition and love the open beak of the bird as it sings! No fault found! Oh yes and good light too! I like the OOF branches as I feel it balances the image nicely. Agree on the removal of tiny twig and dark patches.

Daniel Cadieux
04-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Great subject with a great pose, awesome light, and a neat perch...I love the thorns. Exposure and sharpness perrfect. I would personally prefer it without the OOF branch - perhaps it would have looked better if it wasn't so close to (and touching) the tail.

Stu Bowie
04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Pin sharp Rich, and the light in this is simply stunning. Great head turn, and well timed to capture the open beak. Amazing colours throughout the image, and nits covered regarding foliage. Congrats.

Brian Wong
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi Rich!

I really like the open call and head turn! Background is beautiful and complements nicely. Awesome details. I agree that the touching leaves pulls my eyes and unfortunately distract me.

Simon Bennett
04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Excellent pose, detail and background

Art Kornienko
04-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Wow Rich, stunning indeed. Killer lighting and super sharpness and what a super pose, singing away. As Daniel mentions, I too would have preferred to see the tail with nothing behind it but I fully understand this isn't always possible. As John says LLC and URC could be cloned out, but very nice shot.

adrian dancy
04-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Superb in my view.

Rich Steel
04-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did manage to get a few photos of the bird on a single bramble stem for those that find the oof one behind distracting. However I liked the 'from behind view' of this photo.

Cheers

Rich