PDA

View Full Version : Dutchman's Breeches

Ed Vatza
04-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I found paradise today in the form of Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve in New Hope, Pa. - over 100 acres, beautiful trails, 800 species of wildflowers throughout the year and 80 rare and endangered species.

Today, I was able to photograph Red Trillium, Marsh Marigolds, Rue Anemones, more Trout Lilies and, of course, Dutchman's Breeches.

The only downside from a photographer’s point-of-view is that I have to stay on the paths (so sometimes I had to pass on flowers because the angle was wrong from the path or I couldn’t get close enough) and they don’t take kindly to grooming the surroundings around the flower let alone grooming the flower itself. So backgrounds aren’t quite as perfect and pollen and dust stay on the petals.

This image was made with a handheld 30D and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens w/ Canon 500D close-up lens/filter.

1/320 sec @ f/11; ISO 400; -1/3 EV; FL 120mm

Joseph Martines
04-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Ed:

In spite of all the road blocks you still captured a pleasurable image.

I like the slight angle of the branch and am wondering how it would have turned out had you angled your camera more with the stem starting at the lower left corner. Perhaps too much of a diagonal.

Mike Moats
04-20-2009, 05:29 AM
Hey Ed, nice job with the handicaps, I have a few places that are trails only so I don't shoot there because as you know its frustrating seeing a great flower ten feet away and you can't shoot it.

Ed Vatza
04-20-2009, 06:14 AM
Thanks Joseph. Thanks Mike.

I found that the regulations made me look harder for compositions that would work. And that was fine. Fortunately there were many, many beautiful flowers right along the paths that I could work with. These Dutchman's Breeches, for example.

The biggest "problems" were not being able to "manicure" the background and not being able to dust off the flowers. For example, I made some images of a Red Trillium. The flower looks good but the petals have a dusting of pollen on them. Natural looking? Yes. But I would have liked to be able to dust off some of that pollen with the soft little brush that I carry. Some folks probably would have. Anything for the shot, you know. But I tend to respect rules and regulations of places like this. They don't want you messing with the flowers so I don't mess!

Same goes with Trout Lilies. I made some images of gorgeous little Trout Lilies but the backgrounds aren't anywhere as clean as the background of my Trout Lily image below taken along my local creek when I could manicure the grasses between my subject flower and the water so I got that nice diffuse gray background.

'Nuf said. I still love the place. Bowman's Hill rocks!

Anita Bower
04-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Ed:

Lovely image of Dutchamn's Breeches. You must have been lying on the path--I know I was yesterday as I photographed the same type of flowers. I'm impressed that you hand-held this. I had my tripod al low as it will go.

I've been to Bowman's Hill only once, and keep intending to return, but, it is a bit of a drive for me. I'm fortunate to have a wildflower preserve 20 minutes away.

I completely agree with you on following the rules and regulations, though, I understand your frustration.

The issue of staying on or leaving trails is a bit more challenging, practically and morally. In a place like Bowman's Hill, there is no question--I stay on the trails. But, in a place like the wildflower preserve where I go, it is not so clear. Personally, I try to stay on the trails; that is just good environmental and hiking etiquette. Even so, the trails are so narrow that just sitting down damages plants along the edge, as does using my tripod, to say nothing of my Black Lab sitting or lying down. A few days ago, I stepped off the trail a bit, carefully choosing where I placed my feet, but I didn't feel completely comfortable doing so, so yesterday I stayed on the trail. I do groom, as that doesn't damage the plants. Maybe if I want perfect shooting conditions I could grow the flowers myself!

Gus Cobos
04-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Ed,
This is beautiful, simple and elegant. Its well composed and executed...I like the colors and the soft tones in the background...:cool:

denise ippolito
04-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Ed, I think you did a fine job capturing this image. They seem to be hanging ever so gently!!

Julie Kenward
04-20-2009, 04:51 PM
they remind me of bleeding hearts...I can't wait!!!

I can see where this would get frustrating but I bet you become a better photographer because of it...it will really make you think outside the norm to get the images you want.

I like it as presented but would think if you meant to sell this you would probably have to take the BG to all black.