PDA

View Full Version : Sterling Ranges

John Cooper
01-30-2008, 05:48 AM
I liked the play of blue and yellow of this canola crop and Sterling Ranges WA Australia.

Canon EOS 3, Canon 28-135mm lens. Velvia 50, 1/30 sec F16, mirror lock-up, Tripod.

Jason Hahn
02-01-2008, 01:51 PM
I really like the strong bands of color in the image, the blue of the range also adds a nice mood to the scene. Very pretty scene.

Jason

David Kennedy
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
The idea behind this image is a very good one. A few things that I would point out that would have made it stronger is the tightness between the mountain peaks and the top of the frame, the right edge cuts off the tree, and you possibly have too much foreground. If you had tilted upwards just a little bit you would have balanced the bottom and top of the frame.

I think the color of the canola field really pops, but really makes the background look flat. A slight tweak with Curves, masked so that it only affects the background, would make the entire image more dynamic.

Local Contrast Enhancement might bring about the same effect (USM filter at 20%, radius 50).

John Cooper
02-01-2008, 08:49 PM
The idea behind this image is a very good one. A few things that I would point out that would have made it stronger is the tightness between the mountain peaks and the top of the frame, the right edge cuts off the tree, and you possibly have too much foreground. If you had tilted upwards just a little bit you would have balanced the bottom and top of the frame.

I think the color of the canola field really pops, but really makes the background look flat. A slight tweak with Curves, masked so that it only affects the background, would make the entire image more dynamic.

Local Contrast Enhancement might bring about the same effect (USM filter at 20%, radius 50).

Hi David thanks for the tips - I have applied them to repost. (applied local contrast to upper half).

David Kennedy
02-02-2008, 01:19 AM
John,
I like the re-post a lot. The only thing I'd say is you lost a tiny bit of density in the trees that you had in the original. Otherwise, it's a very handsome image.

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 06:05 AM
Nicely seen John,

i agree with David's comments and like the report. Good job.

Robert O'Toole
02-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Beautiful image john. the image has color, detail and depth.

Robert

Jason Vaclavek
03-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Love the yellows and blues!