PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood

Mike Fuhr
04-19-2009, 04:40 PM
After many weeks of no photographs (ugh), I finally had an opportunity last week. I stopped at a local park on the way to work, and this place had flowers galore! I took a bunch of the dogwoods, including this one. I tried to use limited dof to draw the eye to the front flower. The azaleas in the background were a plus, I think. C and C welcome.

Nikon D50
100-300
280 mm
F4.0 (-1.0)
ISO 200

Julie Kenward
04-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Mike, it's a beautiful image but it's presenting really dark on my monitor. I opened it in PS and noticed that the white slider in levels was quite a bit away from where it should be. I slid it in about half the distance to the curve (you could slide it more or less to taste) and suddenly all the BG colors popped out! You might take another look at the darkness of the lightest tones...

Your composition and DOF are beautiful! If you have another opportunity like this one you might also try one of these long branches on a diagonal where the front flower is in the lower left of the frame and the top one in the upper right. Just flip that camera around at different angles and see what you think. It's just another way to add interest to an image - not that there is anything wrong with how it is presented here.

Aren't you glad it's finally spring? I can't seem to set the camera down these days!

Mike Moats
04-20-2009, 05:34 AM
Hey Mike, I really like the comp as the flower graduate from the sharp front flower to the back flower. I agree the Jules on the light, the repost has more pop.

Mike Fuhr
04-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Nice job on the repost -- it really does pop more. I wonder what I did??? I'll go back and look at the original. Thanks!

Gus Cobos
04-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi Mike,
I like the composition, with the depth of field and the selective focus. Your base image is a tad under exposed...Miss Julie's repost takes it over the top...:cool:

Ed Vatza
04-20-2009, 05:09 PM
My initial reaction was "way too dark". Julie's rework helps but as she said, it could go even farther.