PDA

View Full Version : Cross-bill Ballet

Scott Frye
04-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Black-necked Stilts at Gilbert Water Ranch (Gilbert, Arizona)

Right after mating these stilts go thru this crossed billed ballet and is one of the few interactions I have seen between birds. Its lasts for less than ten seconds and if the light is right and they are in distance and they are facing you -- you can get a really nice shot.

The grey at the back of the neck of the foreground bird is also on the raw picture. Not sure what it is.

1/3200 at F8 and ISO400 EC -1
Bigma at 500mm
Canon 40D

Axel Hildebrandt
04-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Cool interaction, details and exposure control. I might crop a tad off the bottom and maybe the remove the shadow of the bill on the neck of the bird on the left.

Bob Blanchard
04-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Great capture Scott! You got the "red eye" on the Black Necked Stilt, which is tough to do...but necessary to get them right. Only improvement I can suggest is to perhaps try and draw some detail out in the blacks. It looks like there is detail in there, and I think it would enhance this very nice image if you selectively enhanced it.

Randy Stout
04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Scott:

Lovely interaction. I really like the way the wings are perfectly aligned with each other. Sharp, well exposed, excellent eyes.

It might be possible to bring up a bit of detail under the wings with shadow protection.

Agree with Axel's comments.

Very fine.

Randy

Bob and I were typing at the same time, sorry for the duplication.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Really fine pose you caught here Scott. I agree about some more detail under the wings. Perhaps run some selective noise reduction on those blacks and that may help you get some finer detail. I love the interaction and those gorgeous eyes. :)

Daniel Cadieux
04-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I already see some noise under the wings, so I would really be careful about that if you do decide to try and bring up those shadows. I agree with Axel about cropping below - just enough to rid the white reflection. The "grey" at he back of the neck appears to be some black feathers from that area of the plumage. Excellent interaction, a nice display of affection!

Ed Cordes
04-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Outstanding interaction! It even looks like the wings blend. Nit - it isn't mine!! ;)

DanWalters
04-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Great interaction! Like the low angle as well.

Stu Bowie
04-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Lovely interaction, and you have brought out those eyes nicely.