PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus)

Juan Aragonés
04-19-2009, 12:56 PM
The spring is on the air. The marshlands of Doñana are flooded with water and life. Birds are building their nest, looking for mates and beginning the courtship. Lots of coots, grebes, glossy ibises, kestrels, harriers, cranes, herons, egrets, flamingos and many more species. A superb spring day with an amazingly nice, soft light. Plenty of shooting opportunities and a lot of fun for a birder like myself. This kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) was very cooperative, allowing me to photograph him during a lot of time and at a very short distance. That is not a common behavior for birds in the south of Spain! I would prefer a more natural looking perch but this kind of granite post in wired fences are almost second nature for birds in Spain.

Coments and critics highly appreciated :)

Nikon D2X AFS Nikkor 500VR + 1,4XTC, handheld from car, 1/1000s f5,6 ISO 320 Manual exposure

Axel Hildebrandt
04-19-2009, 01:00 PM
I like the angle, details, soft light and BG. Personally, I'm not a big fan of barbed wire and would probably remove it.

Gyorgy Szimuly
04-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Very nice Juan. I like it though the wire is not the fanciest perch element I can imagine on such an image. On the other hand it is the habitat they are living in. Love the 'against-the-wind' pose.

Szimi

Stu Bowie
04-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Pin, pin sharp Juan, and love the detail captured on the Kestrel. Stunning light, and you have the perfect head turn. Although you state the perch is second nature to Spain, we all wish for a better one. Still, well captured.

Randy Stout
04-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Juan:

Agree with the technicals mentioned above: sharp, lovely soft light, head angle, soft BG.
The wire is a distraction. I might consider at least cropping up to the top of the bottom strand

Very handsome bird!

Randy

Fabs Forns
04-19-2009, 02:51 PM
My dear Juan, so happy to see you posting again :)

Your wonderful work was missed!

Lovely bird, tack sharp and perfectly exposed. The perch is what it is. And birds love wire fences. There must be a good reason.

Melvin Grey
04-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Beautiful image Juan, for all the technical reasons already listed. It was certainly a pity about the perch but nice old weathered fence posts are becoming a rarity in the modern countryside and the birds don't seem to notice any difference. I must admit I prefer the excellent 'cloned out' version provided by Peter but you have to have a great shot to begin with and make the effort worth while. Incidentally 'he' is a female!

Melvin

Marc Mol
04-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Lovely image Juan, beautiful soft light, head angle, soft BG, I don't mind the perch which gives it a somewhat urban appeal.
Cheers
Marc

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I like the original post Juan. Well done as it is a super looking raptor. Nice feather details and great eye contact with you.

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Hola Juancito!

Great image you show us here!
I like your original post but I guess I prefer the repost, the not rusted barbwire on your original post distracts since is kinda shiny. Great image anyways.

DanWalters
04-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Beautiful image! Really love the repost. Love the colors of the kestrel and the green background.

Juan Aragonés
04-20-2009, 01:35 AM
Thank all you for your comments :)
I doesn´t like this kind of wired perches (the old granite post is beautiful but not the wire) but I decided to post the image because this kind of fences are part of the environment in many places, of course I love the superb job that Peter did (but it is too much cloning for me ;))

Melvin you are right about "her" identity :D

Fabs I am really happy posting back again :)

Mark Schmitt
04-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Excellent image, Juan. I preferre the original, with wire, agree with Fabs. It is what it is. Technical parameters are spot on; good eye contact; nice resolution and clarity. :-)