PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Throat

Anita Rakestraw
01-30-2008, 02:14 AM
The first year we noticed hummers and started feeding them, I had those ugly red and yellow plastic feeders. Last year I thought I'd do better so found some more attractive feeders. This season, thanks to this site, I'll add branches!

This was created with the Canon Rebel XT, the 100-400 5.6 L, 2x extender, FL 730, f/11, 1/125, ISO 100, tripod. All comments and suggestions are welcome!

Lana Hays
01-30-2008, 05:08 AM
Anita
I don't know if you cropped this or not but I think it's too large in the frame. You also need room for the "virtual bill" that is in the feeder. I think once you start the perches attached you will have an endless supply of images and fun. There appears to be a loss of detail with this image. It could come from too much cropping but I suspect that it's from using the 2X TC with the 100-400mmL lens and the slow shutter speed. I used a 1.4XTC a couple of times with that lens but with a tripod. I think you're stretching your luck with the 2X. You might want to put out a blind and/or move the feeders in closer.

Anita Rakestraw
01-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks, Lana. I noticed this lost some detail in the conversion for the web, but it wasn't perfect before either. It is a crop, but mostly to crop out a large part of the feeder. I have the 1.4 extender now and will be seeing how it performs....