PDA

View Full Version : Turning Home...

David Roach
04-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Created just before sunset as these beauties were returning to their nightly roost at Long Key Nature Center. Wish I'd had the converter on as the spot where they were turning into the evening sun was a bit far for the 400 alone. This is about 40% of original. As always, comments, critiques and learnings welcome!
1DMKIIN 400DO ISO 800 F5@1/1250

Juan Aragonés
04-19-2009, 11:08 AM
I love the banking pose of the ibis and the light but it the overall image is very light to my taste. It is not overexposed, of course, but I think that a bird returning to the roosting place at the end of the day should be more saturated, with a draker BG and alight rich in red/golden tonalities. Just an opinio, of course ;-)

Very good job

David Roach
04-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks Juan; given your input, I took another stab at it(PP that is). What do you think?

Mark Dumbleton
04-19-2009, 11:46 AM
I agree with Juan, and also feel the bird is a bit soft. Like the banking pose and light.

Stu Bowie
04-19-2009, 11:49 AM
I like the angle of flight, and the show of the full wingspread. I like Juan's repost with the darker sky, with a bit of added saturation to show the late afternoon light.

Juan Aragonés
04-20-2009, 01:20 AM
I like it David. My repost is darker than yours because I like drama a lot but I was not there, of course ;-)
I just wanted to let you know that one single image has many possibilities to be processed (like we use to do in the old times with film) and that cameras can produce perfect exposure jobs, from a technical pointo of view, but that are quite different to the images that we saw in the field.

David Roach
04-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi Juan, I fully understnd and appreciate your points. Thanks, as always, for the learnings!!!!