PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon

Janet Heintz
04-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Staying over night on our boat along the Allegheny National Forest was great, but even better was waking up to this loon across the bay.
The bird was very far out in the bay and splashing around just as the sun was coming up.
I darkened the background a bit in photoshop. Used a Canon 40D with the 100-400 lens fully extended. Wish it could have been closer, but I was just happy to see one. Only the second Loon I have ever seen.

Enjoy Janet

Fabs Forns
04-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Very nice catch, he's not in breeding colors. There is a strong red cast to the image, maybe introduced when you darkened it. I'd crop some off top and bottom Thanks for sharing this one, Janet :)

Randy Stout
04-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Janet:

Always fun to see a loon. Not easy to get close in many areas, it depends on how used to humans they are.

The presentation is striking. I agree with Fabs re; the crop.

What was the date this was taken? As Fabs pointed out, this bird isn't in breeding plumage yet, and I would be curious to know exactly when you took it.

Thanks

Randy

Janet Heintz
04-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Randy,
The image was made in August in Northern Pennsylvania
Janet

Randy Stout
04-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks Janet:

That explains it, a juvi! I thought you had just taken it, and by now the adults should be in breeding plumage I would think. Chicks in my area will hatch in very early June. (Michigan)

Thanks!

Randy

Kris Mortensen
04-19-2009, 10:48 PM
I agree with how striking this image is. The black background really sets off the action...it almost looks like a stage with a spotlight. Really like it!