PDA

View Full Version : Spoonbill Rising

Roman Kurywczak
04-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Haven't stopped by here for a while.....figured I'd post one of the spoonies I captured while on James boat. I can't recommend it highly enough and will be booking next years tour with him also. I also want to encourage all of you to stop by the landscape forums and post......if this landscape guy can do it in AWF.....give the other forums a shot!
This is one of my favorites as the water made for a nice BG. This guy changed his flight pattern and came by for a quick turn. I was in the water at the time and swung the Sigmonster around to capture this. Man....I love that lens!
I had to add a bit of canvas up front as it was a bit too tight even for me!
Canon 1D Mark 3 with the Sigma 300-800mm lens @ 800mm for 1/2000 sec at f7.1 and ISO 800 all mounted on tripod with wimberly head while in the water.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Randy Stout
04-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Roman:

Sharp, beautifully exposed,nice wing position. The slightly open bill and drip off the feet are nice. Background is nice, almost seems a little stormy.

Your usual tight framing. I would open it up a bit all the way around, but that is just personal preference.

James is the ticket for Spoonies!

Cheers

Randy

I might tone down the reflections off the feet a bit.

Stu Bowie
04-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Lovely light and colours in this Roman, and like the curved neck in the flying posture.

Judd Patterson
04-18-2009, 01:53 PM
What a beauty in that "stormy" light. Nice work to swing around and capture this flight image. I especially like the colors throughout! If I could have one wish, it would be for a slightly sharper head...just seems to have blurred a tiny bit. It's always a fun trip out with James!

Daniel Cadieux
04-18-2009, 04:29 PM
I agree with Judd regarding the sharpness of the face, the eye seems to imply a bit of subject motion blur. Excellent light you got splashed over the spoonie though, and in combination with the darkish BG it makes for a great combo. I like the wings down position too.

Ed Cordes
04-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Roman I like this a lot. The open beak and the wonderful warm colors make it first rate. If I were to nit I would ask for a bit more room on the right.

Fabs Forns
04-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Sweet light on my favorite sky color for BG. You really get good use out of that Sigmonster!!

Kris Mortensen
04-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I give it 8 out of 10 beers.