PDA

View Full Version : Violet Bud

Ed Vatza
04-17-2009, 02:44 PM
I wish I knew which violet. There are like 87 different violets listed in my guides and the ones I photograph don't seem to match up with any of them.

Anyway, this image was made along the Lehigh Canal Towpath in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania - a place someone once referred to as that little town in the middle of Pennsylvania where Axel Hildebrandt lives. :)

All I can say is two nice days and the flowers are busting out all over. FINALLY!

Image made using my Canon 30D; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens with Canon 500D close-up lens/filter; natural light; handheld.

1/800 sec @ f/5.6; ISO 400; 0 EV; FL 115mm

After doing some more searching, I believe this is a variant of the Common Blue Violet that has been described as white with purple veins which is what the surrounding opened flowers looked like.

denise ippolito
04-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Ed, I really like the composition . I like the blurred BG colors and the way the bud is lifting upward. I wish it were a bit sharper.

Ed Vatza
04-17-2009, 06:26 PM
It's that trade-off thing, Denise. I have another version with a bit more dof (f/8). The flower is sharper but I don't like the background as much.

denise ippolito
04-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Ya, I hear ya. I guess that will always be a trade-off. I still like the image very much and think your wildflower images will someday be in books!!

Ed Vatza
04-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks, Denise. In books, hmmm? I'll be happy just to sell a few here and there.

Julie Kenward
04-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Life the comp and the subject but the BG feels like the midtones are a tiny bit dark. Might pump the levels up just a tad and see if that helps soften/even out the BG even more.

Don't you just love these little guys?