PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Jungle

Paul Marcellini
04-16-2009, 04:43 PM
I haven't gotten out into the cypress swamps too much but I have a great time when I do. The migrant birds are coming through so I was surrounded with chirps. And the tracks in the mud are always great to study. Otters leave their mark just about everywhere, they sure do get around.

It is a visually intense experience. I don't think anything else could be crammed in these forests. The epiphytes cover the trees, the moccasins are hiding under the logs, spiders build webs across every opening. Slow moving, but that's how it should be.

I don't usually come away with stunners when I go into the swamp, but I always enjoy it.

This shot was midday, backlit and begged for bw. Also one of the few times I brought along a compass. The foreground is gator tracks and tails drags, with a few bird and otter prints mixed in.

These aren't cypress. These are rather large pond apples(Annona glabra). There are some largish cypress in the area but the old growth is not standing. =( This is the center of a cypress strand, most have a pond in the center, the only remaining water in the dry season.

5dII, 16-35II@23mm f13 1/20s iso800

I decided not to crop the brightest of highlights to leave more of the dark limbs, which I think are a nice graphic. I also think it adds to the mood. But that's me. I have this scene in diffused light with nothing blown and it does not have the same appeal to me. Compression also killed this, saved at 46. =(

Jackie Schuknecht
04-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Very nice Paul, would never have known what all the tracks were until you had explained it. Looks like a magical, secret, menacing place. Love the detail and the B and W. Full size must be wonderful.

Dave Mills
04-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Paul, This is a wonderful image. I like how the tree on the far left blocks the way and your eye moves to the dominant tree. From there my eye naturally moves to the right of the tree out towards the back. The trails in the mud are also guiding me there. The lighting makes it somewhat mysterious and the tonality finishes it off. Well thought out and fascinating image.

Julie Kenward
04-17-2009, 02:19 AM
At first I was blown away by the conversion but then I started to look at the compositional lines and wow...perfectly framed, perfectly seen, the tracks pulling your eyes around the trees and into the water - it's nothing short of fabulous. It reminds me of one of those images you'd see in a children's book where you had to find the ten different hidden objects because of all the details.

I think the conversion is the star of the show, though. The colors/tones you chose makes me feel muddy just looking at it. I may have to scrape my shoes before I leave the forum. :D;):D

Rich Ikerd
04-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Excellent capture of the essence of the swamp Paul. The B&W conversion is really the way to go with an image like this (you been hanging around Clyde Butcher's place??). The leading tracks throughout the image give it a super touch. Looks like a good place to get stuck in the mud!

Roman Kurywczak
04-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey Paul,
Know you are in Africa.....but this is really nicely done. Super choice on the B&W conversion as the color one wouldn't be nearly as strong I suspect. As mentioned above all the components come together from the structure of the limbs and roots to the lines of the trails and even the hint of the brighter sky. One of your best IMO.

Robert Amoruso
04-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Very Clyde Butcher-ish. This is how I think this type of image needs to be presented, as a B&W. You did well working out the comp here to make it flow well (i.e., tracks inthe mud, path between the trees). Getting rid of the color and letting shades of gray tell the story works extremely well.