PDA

View Full Version : Amelia Island suggestions in early May

Don Saunders
04-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Does anyone have suggestions on locations on Amelia Island for landscapes and bird photography? I plan to be there in early May.
Thanks!

Michael Pancier
04-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Don, Fort Clinch state park is fantastic for landscape and birds (i.e., herons, osprey, egrets) ....

Little Talbot and Big Talbot State Parks are great for landscape shots... Little Talbot also has its share of shore birds; osprey; etc. Big Talbot has a lot of erosion and deadwood along the shore. makes nice sunrise shot if you could get down to the beach. A short drive north from AMelia is St. Simons Island, Georgia which has a nice lighthouse if you like photographing them and likewise, outside Amelia (on the way in from i-95 to the island), there are acres of marshland which also lends itself to sunset shots. You need to scout the area during the middle of the day since there is no set location there.

Enjoy the area. I love it personally.

Don Saunders
04-30-2009, 07:27 AM
That helps. Thank you, Michael.

Michael Pancier
05-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Don, I did a stop by there last Saturday. Near the pier at Fort Clinch, there is a huge area of nesting seabirds roped off next to the jetty/pier. They blanket the beach.

I saw lots of gulls and terns. No skimmers. Did not spot any osprey there either. They have set up a blind near the pier as part of the birding trail, but at least in the mid pm when I was there, zip. Have not tried early morning or afternoon .It looks like they get painted buntings there, but don't know if it's past season right now.

In the marsh area of Fort Clinch which faces west, there were lots of woodpeckers, but as I was there in pm, could not get any shots; early morning might be better, but no sure thing. you do get nice view of the Amelia Lighthouse though and any birds perched on the oaks/pines in the area.

Big Talbot is still great for landscapes. Even in midday, esp. for B&W. Bring a polarizer and/or a ND filter to blur water....the deadwood is a trove for creativity....

Don Saunders
05-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Michael,
I did go to Ft. Clinch one morning and photographed the Terns. Got some nice BIF shots with fish.
Also shot 2 sunrises. Both with cloudless horizon so the sun rose from the ocean - cool!
Thanks,
Don

Michael Pancier
05-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Michael,
I did go to Ft. Clinch one morning and photographed the Terns. Got some nice BIF shots with fish.
Also shot 2 sunrises. Both with cloudless horizon so the sun rose from the ocean - cool!
Thanks,
Don

Glad you enjoyed the area...I'll keep an eye out for the tern shots...