PDA

View Full Version : Key West

Glenn Romain
04-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Well i think its my second venture out of eager to learn and im here for a good critique good or bad don't hold back :) Key West spring of 2007 . ( Few birds added in PS )

Nikon D50
18-55mm at 55mm
Iso 200
F/11
1/400 sec

Paul Marcellini
04-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Well I was about to say it is great how many bird you got, but saw the note that they were added. =) I would consider that photo art, but since its here, I will finish the critique. I love the color you got, but the dead centered sun isn't ideal for me. I think you could crop out some of the negative space and relieve the weight of all that black. It would also take the sun off the horizontal center. I'm personally not a fan of hand of man(all the satellites) for my own shots, but here they seem to contrast the flocks of birds in an interesting way. Thanks for stopping by and keep posting.

Glenn Romain
04-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the critique Paul ,all points noted :)

Roman Kurywczak
04-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Hey Glenn,
I'm OK with the man made objects because they are part of the scene......not my favorite....but the star here is the color and the sun and you have very good seperation in those antenna/satellite dishes. I do agree with Paul on the crop of the negative space and the re-post offers 2 possibilities. The red/most drastic.....is my personal favorite as it accomplishes what Paul and I were looking for.....removing the sun off center horizontally.....but the green one.....a little less drastic......keeps the curve as a leading line and still moves the sun. Either one in my opinion imrpves the comp and takes some of the base heaviness away. I think the addition of the birds was a nice touch.....filled the space nicely while balancing the larger right antenna. Well done.

David Thomasson
04-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Interesting shot. The first thing that caught my eye was the sharpening halos, especially on the tower at right. If I were going to print this, I would work at avoiding those and try to achieve black framework against the orange sky -- and no halos.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7591/towersi.jpg

Glenn Romain
04-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Roman , David, thanks for your fine advice here ill try and put them into practice . Thanks again :)