PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra panoramic

Steve Bein
04-16-2009, 02:09 AM
This has about 7 images stitched. It is tack sharp at 200+ inches long by 36" high. If printed, I would go for 70 to 80". The web sized image seems soft, the actual image is amazing.

Robert Amoruso
04-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Interesting depth perspective in this image. The structure on the left is in the middleground, the larger one centered in the more immediate FG and the the large mountain on the right in the far BG work to balance the image. Due to its closeness, the structure in the middle is most prominent. I think that having it the most promient feature and in the middle makes the image static. When I crop from the left, I feel the pano falls into a good balance with the large building balancing with the mountain. I

My suggestion is a crop from the left. Will like to see how others feel.

I bet this is stunning looking in large format. Well done on the technique and seeing the possibilities here. I like how the cloud on the right mimics the shape of the mountain.

Paul Marcellini
04-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Haha, I was going to suggest a crop on the right. There is more contrast with the snow and color from the sky. The snowless mountain on the right doesn't do much for me. And as Robert pointed out, A crop would take the prominent building off center. At this size it seems leaning left, but not sure. A beautiful scene thoguh and I bet a large print would look amazing. Would also like it if you posted full camera stats, helps everyone else learn a little.

Steve Bein
04-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi,
i have done the left crop and it balances a lot better. Thanks for the suggestion of the right crop also. I'll play with it and see how it works. The detail in the foreground buildings and their colors are amazing. I think I will post a crop to show how it worked. Also, I did not have my ND grad with me which might have helped with the lighting on the mountains, but since they varied in height, I am not sure how well it would have worked.
5D, 24-120 lens set at about 80mm f14 for depth of field. I just exposed and adjusted for hte histogram on the large building. I'll post the crop on the center cabin.

Roman Kurywczak
04-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey Steve,
and yet a 3rd opinion.....wonder if it has to do with the small size limitation......I like it as presented because of the central placement of the building.....gives me a strong focal point and really places me in the scene while the smaller ones give nice sense of scale and add depth. I love the flow of the mountains in this and you are probably correct that the split ND wouldn't have worked great here (I use the soft stop so it may have been OK)......but would have been interesting to compare.
I really like this as is and bet it looks great huge!