PDA

View Full Version : Glacier, Mt Edith Klavel

Dave Mills
04-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Shot this up around Banff, Canada. This image was taken in August...still iceburgs present. Yes, the water is that color due to minerals from the run off. I waited for the light to come down on the glacier before I shot. The mosquitoes here were absolutely horrendous.
Nikon D200 24-120 lense F22 1/2 sec iso 200 2 stop split ND Tripod Mtd

Robert Amoruso
04-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Dave,

The shaft of light really accentuates the textures of the ice. I like the shape of the ice flow, a "V". Great leading line. On the bottom edge, I would have preferred to see either the whole shore along the bottom or cropped up about the shore. This way you keep the layers in the image intact horizontally.

Nice work.

D. Robert Franz
04-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Lovely comp here.. This is a case where a HDR image probably would have worked better since the GND darkens the tops of the mountain to much..

Dave Mills
04-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi Robert....HDR wasn't an option at the time...It didn't exist! It was shot around 5 years ago. You wouldn't have known that by my statement....

D. Robert Franz
04-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi Robert....HDR wasn't an option at the time...It didn't exist! It was shot around 5 years ago. You wouldn't have known that by my statement....

OK you did the best you could with the tools available.... It's a real nice image

Rich Ikerd
04-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Beautiful image of an unfortunately fast disappearing glacier. I really like how the light is centered on the "angel" while all else is darkened. Don't even mind that the top of the adjacent mountain is darker than it might have been without using the GND. I'll also echo Robert's comment about the lake shoreline. Including it would have provided a more complete foundation. That comment aside, I would gladly add this to my collection any time.

Paul Marcellini
04-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Love the mood of this one Dave. The color contrasts of warm and cool tones are great as well. I dont mind the darker mountain as it adds to the mood but will agree the full shoreline would have been better at bottom. i never would have guessed mosquitoes would be bad up there. They are already bad in the Everglades, caught me off guard.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
04-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Very nice Dave, agree on the crop. Like the warm a cool of the image as it really gives it depth

Roman Kurywczak
04-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Hey Dave,
I know how tough it is to make scanned slides look good especially in the darker areas......always tough......but i think you did a nice job with it anyway. You may want to run a screen layer on the sky and the darker areas.....just to lighten them a bit so that the blue looks a little more natural but the flow and mood here is very nice.