PDA

View Full Version : Strolling Along

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Captured this plover on my last trip to Sanibel. I have always loved shorebirds and never seem to tire of them.

Nikon D300
Nikon 300 mm F2.8
ISO 640
1/1000, F8
manual

All comments are appreciated.

Harold Davis
04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
love the pose! nice soft light too. is it my monitor or is there a color cast here? the pile of shells frames this nicely.

David Thomasson
04-15-2009, 04:45 PM
is it my monitor or is there a color cast here?

There is a color cast, as there should be, because this is a sunset (sunrise?) shot. Either way, the Golden Hour produces golden light. Hence the most desirable golden cast.

Beautiful shot, Judy.

Harold Davis
04-15-2009, 04:50 PM
thanks david. somewhat confusing because i like it and have posted images in the past with the warmer tones of the sunset only to be told to correct the cast. the majority have always liked the reposted image.

Fabs Forns
04-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Very nice strolling pose, at the best tome of the day :)
The surf provides a great back drop too.

Maxis Gamez
04-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi Judy,

Gorgeous light, low angle and exposure. The shell adds to it. I also like the raised foot.

David Thomasson
04-15-2009, 07:21 PM
thanks david. somewhat confusing because i like it and have posted images in the past with the warmer tones of the sunset only to be told to correct the cast.

Those are the "rules" people talking. With them, things "must" be this or "always" are that.

Whites must have equal RGB values (even in a golden sunset).
The rule of thirds must be applied when cropping.
Subjects must always be looking into the frame.
It is always best to have the head angled just so.

The rules people -- like the poor -- will always be with us.

Alfred Forns
04-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi Judy Looks like you hit the deck for this one !!! Love the low angle, sweet light and raised foot !!

David those things you mention I call "rules for guidance" Always in the lookout for breaking them but for the most part they do work...... just take the last one and compare one bird with the head just so .... or just looking away .. which looks better " :)

.... btw I had a student in one workshop in Bosque that managed to neutralize any late/early cast on the birds ... by the time he was finish processing the images all looked like they were taken at mid day !!! Couldn't get him to back off the iCorrect filter !!!!

Daniel Cadieux
04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Sweet golden light. For the cast, sometimes the trick is knowing the difference between sweet golden light and an actual "off" WB. Nice walking pose, and great low angle. That is not the nicest looking "pile" of shells, but I agree it does offer some compositional balance.

Mark Dumbleton
04-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Super low angle, light and pose. The bird seems ever so soft, and alos watch out for the halo around the birds beak. Shells add that balance well.

Stu Bowie
04-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Amazing light and colours in this, and love the raised foot off the ground. Lovely low angle too Judy.