PDA

View Full Version : Great Horned Owl

Steve Canuel
04-15-2009, 01:17 AM
40D, 400DO + 2xTC, f10, 1/80s, ISO 1600, +1/3 EC, tripod mount, MLU, cable release. Small crop to tighten up, small branch and bright spot removed from BG.

Desmond Chan
04-15-2009, 01:21 AM
I like the colors and the sharpness of this image. Composition-wise I may crop a bit off the top.

Arthur Morris
04-15-2009, 02:54 AM
I love the way that you framed this with the upper branches. EXP is perfect. Very sharp considering no flash. My biggest problem is that you need more room on the bottom for the virtual tail. If you cropped from there, I would love to see a repost. Love the pink stuff on the branch.

david cramer
04-15-2009, 03:24 AM
I also like the way the branches frame the owl. Very nice image, Steve, with great detail and sharpness. My only wish would have been better head turn. Nice patience on your part!

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-15-2009, 05:05 AM
My first thoughts were the framing by branches. Super clean image, love the owl and the perch. Agreed about a bit more room for the 'tail'. I guess it is a balance kind of a thing. But love it just as much as is. :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Fine capture with perfect exposure and excellent detail. The framing with the branches is lovely and a s Artie mentioned just a tad more canvas on the bottom . Congratulations Steve !!!

Steve Canuel
04-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Arthur,
The branch he was sitting on was about as wide as 3/4 of his height. There was no tail visible below the branch. In addition to that, there were a lot of bright spots through the background pine needles that I was trying to avoid. I cropped up a little from the bottom to eliminate the little open space in the LLC between two branches. Here's the uncropped version for reference.