PDA

View Full Version : Western Grebe w/Chicks

Nate Chappell
04-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Hi everyone, I posted a Western Grebe with a chick a few weeks ago and Randy Stout asked if I had one without the wave obscuring part of the parent. This is a different bird with 2 babies on the back from the same spot, Malheur NWR in Oregon. Cropped. Handheld sitting at edge of water.

20D 500F4 1.4X 1/1600 F8 iso 400

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-15-2009, 12:51 AM
This is really crying out "Cute factor!" I love the way it is presented and wish I could myself witness a spectacle as special as this. If anything, maybe a little NR on the background would be good. But perhaps does not need that much at all anyway. :)

Desmond Chan
04-15-2009, 01:16 AM
This has a very good 3-dimensional feel to me. Exposure and sharpness look good. The darker background really makes the grebes stand out from it.

Steve Canuel
04-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Reminds me of a Viking ship. The color of the water is very complimentary to the colors of the bird. Detail in the whites looks good and having eye contact with all three adds a nice touch.

Arthur Morris
04-15-2009, 03:06 AM
Yes to way cute. EXP looks good depsite relatively harsh light. A tripod and 1/800 sec. at f/11 would have sharpened up the head of the rear chick a bit. Biggest gripe: the adult's head is turned slightly away.

I am not a big fan of waves preferring instead a windless morning with still, blue, mirror-like water.... I am sure that you do too.

Randy Stout
04-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Nate:

Agree with the technicals from above. I thank you for the post, and I do really like being able to see a bit more of the bird. Very high cuteness factor here. I might crop up just above your sig to get rid of a bit of the wave in front.

Cheers

Randy

Simon Bennett
04-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Very cute indeed and well captured Nate- a slight head-turn to left with the adult would be preferred - but it's not often does it all come together.