PDA

View Full Version : Barking Owl

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Another captive image from my foray into the wildlife park of my favorite Australian Owl. I spent a fair bit of time with this male owl. His girl was at the back of the enclosure and too shy to face the paparazzi. I long for the day I get to see one of these in the wild. You'll hear me scream from across the Atlantic. :) I really, really love the penetrating yellow eyes these Ninox owls have. This is called a barking owl, as it literally barks and its calls in the forest may be mistaken (and often have been) to dogs barking. Other than that, they do have an ear-piercing scream, which would send shivers down anyone's spine - called the "screaming woman'. I was taken aback when I did hear it from a couple of meters away, as it is normally a daytime call. Hopefully this (http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/images/audio/ninox-connivens.mp3) link will get you to the calls.

Cropped to vertical. 30D, 100mm macro, 430EX, manual exp. probably about 1/125th and f/5.6 (cannot remember off the top of my head) hand held.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Great stare and details. I might clone out one of the catchlights in each eye. Thanks also for the extra information!

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Thank you Axel. I thought of the extra catchlights after posting. Will fix in the master file. :)

Randy Stout
04-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Akos:

I really appreciate the back story with the image, adds a lot to my enjoyment and education! Those are beacon like eyes! Sharp, nice exposure, nice DOF handling. Not often you get to shoot owls with a macro lens.

Here is hoping that you get to yell out loud when you finally get one of these guys in the wild!

Cheers

Randy

Ramon M. Casares
04-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Nice image, I like it centered as it is very much, light is nice still some light from behind to separate the owl from the BG a bit would have been nice although I don't know if that was possible. Nice detail, colors, and species, I agree about the flash catchlights that need to be removed. Congratulations!

Fabs Forns
04-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Very nice in your face portrait, lots of detail. For the web, I may crop some off the top.

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Extraordinary looking owl Akos!

One more vote for getting rid of the small catch light. Great presentation.

Steve Canuel
04-15-2009, 01:38 AM
What a look! Nice detail and color. Thanks for the BG info too.

David Roach
04-15-2009, 04:21 AM
Those eyes!!!!!

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Thank you for the honest critique folks. Here is a repost with a crop from top and fixed pupils.

Ramon M. Casares
04-15-2009, 09:53 AM
It does look better than the OP. congratulations again amigo!

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks for re-evaluating Mr. Casares. :)