PDA

View Full Version : Imature Black Crowned Night Heron

Mark Fuge
04-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Shot image at Ding Darling NWR. Bird was along the side of the drive near the entrance gate. Shot from car with neoprene pipe wrap window mount. Canon EOS 5D w/ 35–350L Lens @ 350mm, 1/2500Sec. @ f/8.0, ISO 400 Exposure Compensation 0. He was in and out of the weeds, this was the only good image I got with him sans front distraction.

Would have liked more "sideyard area" but this is what I got and no cropping due to the full image. Front grass while noticable, I don't think is distracting. I would have had to cut off his leg to eliminate it. Could PS, but decided to give it near as shoot.

I did not cut the reeds in the foreground. I prefer to show them if they are there. It's not nice to fool with mother nature.

I was after a full frame image and he filled it. :)

Mark

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-14-2009, 06:06 PM
I think a lower angle would have not been possible, though I would have preferred that. Nice catch, light seems a little strong. Also appreciate that you didn't do any digital gardening. :)

Axel Hildebrandt
04-14-2009, 07:31 PM
I like the head angle and details and fine the bird a bit tight in the frame. The light looks quite harsh. Keep them coming!

Maxis Gamez
04-14-2009, 07:54 PM
It almost looks like if it was flashed. I like the habitat. I would light up the eye.

Mark Fuge
04-15-2009, 01:25 PM
No flash use. It was the lighting of the background and the bird being in the only open area receiving daylight. I don't own a flash! ; > ) I do adjust in PE, but that is for clarity. Still working on those skills.

Agree with the tightness, but that was the frame. I could widen the canvas, but with all the natural "clutter" it would look false.

Thanks for the comments,

Mark