PDA

View Full Version : Yellow stars

Juan Aragonés
04-14-2009, 01:20 PM
This is one of my favourite images from the past months. A white stork (Ciconia ciconia) in the very first morning light, surrounded by a miriad of yellow flowers, shinning like yellow stars in a dark green background.

In many parts of europe the white stork is a symbol of new life and many people believed that storks are responsible of the arrival of a new baby to a home. I remember from my childhood that in my birth certification, hanging in a frame of the wall of my bedroom, there was a small drawing depicting a white stork holding a healthy baby with the bill. This was a very typical iconic and charming image from me childhood and from the childhood of thousands people that, like myself, were born in the second half of the sixties.

White storks are part of the urban landscape in many cities in the south of Spain but also are parts of our cultural heritage and are part of my life. A very important reason for the conservation of this species but, of course, not the only one. I can find tousands of reason to do that.

Near Doñana National Park, Huelva (Spain) in an unforgetable spring day of march

Juan

Nikon D300 AFS Nikkor 500VR + 1,4XTC ISO640 f9 1/1250 handheld

Axel Hildebrandt
04-14-2009, 02:15 PM
This is a very cool image. I like wide crop, sun shining through the blossoms and the backlight works extremely well here. I also like the horizontal dark lines. I remember these birds from my childhood. They were always a spring harbinger. Thanks for sharing this image and the story!

Brandon Holden
04-14-2009, 02:17 PM
wow! this is one i'd hang on my wall! I'm guessing some may want a different head turn, but I like it just the way it is!

With shots like this, I sometimes de-sat and brighten the whites on the bird (to make them more white, as they're somewhat yellowish near the belly now).. but that may be too "un-natural" for some! (And its very easy to over do it)..

But anyways, wanted to say I loved the image!

Stefan Jonsson
04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Wow, like that backlight, in fact thats the light I prefer but its very difficult to take shots like this.
Thumbs up!

David Roach
04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Really love the feel of this one. Your composition brings it all together!

Ramon M. Casares
04-14-2009, 04:40 PM
I think the ambient here works great and compliments the subject nicely, IMHO i would've only wish the leg wasn't covered, but still, lovely mood, light, comp and detail Juan!

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-14-2009, 07:52 PM
I really like this Don Juan. Lovely backlit scene and those yellow flowers indeed beaming like starts. The storks are very special in my folklore too as you indicated the arrival of babies and of course spring and the beginning of new life. All elements work well for me. :)

Fabs Forns
04-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Ah, my friend, now I know what you meant about special pictures. This is certainly one of them. I love back light and surrounded by flowers is a big plus. Print it big!!!

Nate Chappell
04-15-2009, 12:29 AM
This is spectacular Juan, wonderful comp, lighting and colors, congrats.