PDA

View Full Version : Sunset

Kyle Marie Barcelos
04-14-2009, 07:56 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3619/3440850495_cb28c83996_o.jpg

My first sunset, What caught my eye was the beam of light coming from above the clouds.

Canon EOS 20D
EF 70-300mm @ 75mm
TV 1/250
AV 11.0
ISO 100

Robert Amoruso
04-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Kyle,

You're on the right track. Think about what caused you to make this image - you mentioned it, the sun and rays bursting from the top of the cloud. The FG bank, the piling, the water all detract from this theme - so eliminate them. Best time to do that is when you make the image and not as I have done with the crop. On the bottom I leave a small strip of the land to act as an anchor of the image but not overpower it.

I also did a curves correction in photoshop to lighten the image and then masked out the upper part of the sky so keep the rays more visible. But the darker clouds work well to, just wanted to demonstrate another idea for your image.

Besides having the sun in the center of the image, which BTW I think works well here, you should also place it in a Rule of Thirds position.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
04-15-2009, 06:28 AM
Thanks, I see what you mean about the distractions, your crop looks good. Thanks for all the advise.
Kyle Marie

Roman Kurywczak
04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi Kyle,
Robert gave some great advice and the re-post strenghtens the image. I will just add for a tip in the filed.......by getting lower on the post and chain (I'm talking laying on the ground)....you may have been able to include it in the image.....leading you to the sun and sky.........so explore different vantage points on a scene that catches your eye.....don't forget that exploring different elevations and angles is always the way to go........sometimes even a few feet makes a world of difference.