PDA

View Full Version : Calla #3

Ed Vatza
04-14-2009, 06:35 AM
As I said, I kept working the Calla Lilies looking for interesting and different compositions. One of the comps I came up with was this side-view, two lily comp. I cloned out the leaf in the LR corner but then the corner looked naked to me so I put it back in to give that part of the frame some substance.

Your thoughts on this comp would be greatly appreciated.

Same set up as for Calla #1 and Calla #2.

5.0 sec @ f/22; ISO 100; +1/3 EV; FEC -1

Julie Kenward
04-14-2009, 07:34 AM
This one is also beautiful, Ed. I do wish the leaf in the lower corner were either more in or more out of the frame. It's so faint that it's hard not to look there and try to make it out instead of looking at those stunning flowers.

denise ippolito
04-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Ed, You've really been kickin' it up a notch! Your Calla Lilly images are wonderful. I really like the black BG it adds so much to it.

Richard Lovison
04-14-2009, 11:33 AM
I was taught that odd numbers of the same subject are always best in compositions especially having three instead of two as your eye would settle on a pattern instead of bouncing back and forth between two of the same. I 've never been one for rules though sometimes that has got me into trouble. :) In any case, I'm with Jules and wish the leaf was more a part of the composition.

Bob Shaw
04-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Richard is right about odd numbers.... my wife has been a floral designer for many years, and she says it's standard practice to use odd instead of even numbers. Other than that I think the pics are just beautiful.

Ed Vatza
04-14-2009, 04:37 PM
I am familiar with the odd number rule. But I, too, am notorious for breaking rules. I guess the question is whether with this particular pair of bloom, you find your eye bouncing backing and forth? My feeling (hope) was that the overlapping blooms would anchor the viewer's attention.

I also understand your feelings about the leaf. Taking it out would be easy but it just seems to throw the image out of kilter. Although it is dark, it tends to show up well on my monitor.

Dave Mills
04-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Ed...I spent a bit of time looking at this and came up with this crop and an addition of canvas. I wanted to get the subjects off center so I cropped on the rt. and added to the left. I felt there wasn't enough of the leaf to significantly add to the image.
I also try to use odd numbers but in this case I feel the 2 subjects play well against each other. The diagonal positioning helps the image also...

denise ippolito
04-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Dave, I think the off-centered crop really made this shine!

Gus Cobos
04-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Hi Ed I like the composition, image and capture, my only suggestion would be to clone out the green leaf, it takes away from your main subjec..my eye keeps going there...:cool:

Ed Vatza
04-15-2009, 05:14 AM
Dave, I think your re-work looks good. Adding canvas to the left and removing the leaf doesn't leave that empty space feeling in the LR I had with the original when I cloned out the leaf.

The following is a generalized comment and doesn't pertain to any one comment or critique.

That said, I must admit that I just don't see the problem sometimes. I guess I just look at things differently. Or more correctly, we all look at things differently. Saying that our eye gets pulled to the leaf may be a real phenomenon but all I can say is that my eye doesn't get pulled there. My eye focuses on the flowers. I guess the same thing goes for the "odd number rule". I think two blooms can be composed to look good. It doesn't have to always be an odd number.

Now I will hasten to add that I am not trying to be obstinate or argumentative or unappreciative of comments. Maybe it's as simple as I'm starting to feel more confident in my skills, I'm spreading my wings, and I am willing to listen to others critiques but form my own judgements regarding my work.

I knew the "odd number rule" but chose to break it.

I knew to clone out the errant leaf but, in the final analysis, felt the image was stronger with it in so in it stayed.

So keep those critiques coming. I am still open to you reworking any image if you are willing to spend the time. I still agree with more of the comments than I disagree with. And if I disagree, I will be willing to discuss the reasons why? Thanks all.

Richard Lovison
04-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Ed,

I understand completely. Of course you look at things differently... you're an individual with your own unique style and perspective. I celebrate that.

I became a part of this forum for one reason... I always knew I was extremely sensitive to criticism. My first encounter with Arthur was a testament to that fact as some of you are aware. So I thought I might as well throw myself into the thick of criticism and conquer the fear. :) I keep throwing up images thinking "come on, give it your best shot and criticize the heck out of it". "I can take it." :) Sooner or later I will need to rely on my own inner voice and I can only hope that my experience here through the interaction with others will allow me to hear that inner voice more clearly and trust it enough to follow it. It sounds like you are beginning to trust yours.

denise ippolito
04-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Ed, It's art and it is subjective-beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, just keep producing your best work and the rest will fall into place. As far as any-one persons opinion,well it's just that their opinion. It doesn't make them right or wrong.:)

Anita Bower
04-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Ed:

As you can tell, I'm behind in my comments.

I love all the shots you took of these gorgeous Cala Lilies.

I like the arrangement of the 2 Lilies, and the black BG. The light and color are just perfect. I like the recrop done by Dave.

I think 2 flowers work just fine! See this link for a famous photo of 2 Cala Lilies. http://www.aperture.org/exposures/?tag=imogene-cunningham (http://www.aperture.org/exposures/?tag=imogene-cunningham)

This image has elegance!