PDA

View Full Version : Purple Sandpiper

Paul Lagasi
04-13-2009, 04:06 AM
I must have been asleep, great chance to photograph Purple Sandpipers and I forget to reset my ISO setting...I was trying to photograph the red moon the night before and had my settings at 3200-ISO. Tell me does it still work or just too noisy...These guys just hung around and gave me some great views...not at all afraid
D300
70-200 w 1.4tc @ 280mm
f/8
1/2500
+1 ev
ISO-3200
50% crop

John Chardine
04-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Nice Paul. I like the placement of the birds. The algae on the rocks provides a nice splash of colour. Can't see any noise in this image. Did you use NR software? Reason I ask is that some of the bird's feathers have a slightly waxy look which can be a byproduct of NR. Where was the image made?

Paul Lagasi
04-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks John, I used CS4 noise reduction at level 2, image was made at Cape May Point...also saw them later at Barnegat Light where I'd adjusted my ISO...I posted later photo at:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34097

Daniel Cadieux
04-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Hey Paul, glad you got your opportunities with these guys! Nice to have two of them pose on such a nice perch, and also nice to see them facing each other. If the far bird had a similar head angle to the near one that would have been too sweet. Also wish the near one had a reflection in its eye.

Posted at this small size for web and combined with some NR, noise is a non-issue (considering the ISO used)...I'm sure it is more evident at actual size.

Stu Bowie
04-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Super comp, and always great to get two together. The Algae adds colour, and not much evidence of noise. Well captured.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I like the poses and eye contact, the perch looks good, too. The high ISO is a bit unfortunate but it looks quite good considering the settings.