Here's one from my own backyard.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f10 @ 1/100th, ISO 400
Manual mode, outdoor natural light
Pattern metering
Processed in ACR & CS4

denise ippolito
04-12-2009, 08:25 PM
It's a beautiful composition Jules,the colors and the lighting are really nice.

Richard Lovison
04-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Beautiful composition Jules. I would like to have seen the edge sharpness carried to the bottom left of the image though as it is, it still works for me.

massimomossi
04-13-2009, 08:51 AM
I like this picture very much--the texture and color in the white petal really adds a great deal to the feel of the image, especially in relation to the OOF yellow behind it. I don't feel the need for more sharpness in the edge--what there is is sufficient to give it an anchor.

Well done!
Massimo

Kaushik Balakumar
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Lovely textures there. But would not rate this amongst your top compositions...

Julie Kenward
04-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Kaushik, tell me why you're not as fond of this comp. I'd love to know. Is it the little pieces at the edges of the frame? Or something else?

Kaushik Balakumar
04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Kaushik, tell me why you're not as fond of this comp. I'd love to know. Is it the little pieces at the edges of the frame? Or something else?

Sorry Julie. I should have expanded on what I meant earlier.
Though the image has technical perfection (in terms of exposure) & lovely texture, composition-wise the image does not look inviting. The reason why I feel this way is due to the large petals right in front. They stick right into the eyes and appear very dominant. The eyes feel restless wandering all over those petals.
Am not sure if I'm able to express my views across properly (I'm finding it difficult).
But it is just me (talking of my taste buds only :) ).

Kaushik Balakumar
04-13-2009, 08:28 PM
...Is it the little pieces at the edges of the frame?

On the contrary, I actually liked the little pieces near the edges which you are referring to. It is the larger (lighter) petals in focus, right in front which I'm (personally) not so comfortable with. I understand that this could be a bit weird b'coz these petals are the very subject of the image.
But its just my opinion !

Julie Kenward
04-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Kaushik, you did very well at expressing your opinion and thank you. I like to find out why someone does or does not care for an image - it helps me better understand what they are focusing on that maybe I am not.

I can certainly understand why you felt this way about the image so thank you for coming back and expressing it in more detail.

Gus Cobos
04-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi Julie,
I like the composition as presented, I like the soft gentle touch of the front petal, it's well composed and has balance...the color rendition is very good...my type of image...:):cool:

Anita Bower
04-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Jules:

I agree with Kaushik that this is not my favorite of your images. It seems a bit flat; the lines are not strong enough to give my eye someplace to focus; the front petals are too light and the back ones too dark. Not that it isn't a good photo, just that it doesn't grab me.