PDA

View Full Version : Cattleya species

John Chardine
04-12-2009, 06:26 PM
This is a species orchid (not a hybrid) called Cattleya aurantiaca from Mexico and Central America. My wife has had the plant for 20+ years and it is a reliable bloomer. To give a sense of scale, the flowers are about 1"/2.5 cm in diameter.

I used two flashes to provide the main light because I wanted to underexpose the BG and bring out the subject. The BG was a black tee-shirt and I selectively darkened it with a quickmask and Levels adjustment. The bunches of flowers are quite unruly so I spent some time choosing the right bunch and the right angle so that overlap was minimal.

Canon EOS 5D, 100mm f2.8 macro
capture date: Sunday, 12 April, 2009 2:19 PM
exposure program: Manual
ISO speed: 200
shutter speed: 1/60
aperture: f22.0
exposure bias: +0.0
metering: Pattern
flash: ON - Compulsory flash mode

Julie Kenward
04-12-2009, 07:33 PM
John, that is GORGEOUS and I guess you answered my question about which macro lens you ended up buying. Don't you love it?

There's only two little blemishes that I can find and they are no big deal but if you want perfection...go to the center area where you can see a tiny bit of a green stem. Next to that are two little imperfections - one above and one below just to the right of that stem. Clean those up and I think you've got a home run.

The reds in this are deep and true. Excellent exposure!

denise ippolito
04-12-2009, 08:23 PM
John, I knew as soon as I saw your name it was going to be good-but this is great! Love the colors and the BG really sets them off.

John Chardine
04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks so much Jules and Denise. I needed a pick-me-up today because we've had 15cm snow over Easter! This flower, a post to BPN, and a chat back and forth did it! Here's a cleaned up version. I also dealt with some noise using a 50% blur tool.

denise ippolito
04-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Beautiful!! Hope the rest of the month is sunny and clear!!

Richard Lovison
04-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Wow, I really like this. I love the lighting technique... the flowers are beautifully lit and the leaves gradually disappearing in the background is a wonderful effect. Outstanding image.

Bruce Murden
04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
I really love the lighting here, giving great colors and saturation without overdoing the reds. Lovely image!

Anita Bower
04-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Gorgeous composition. Love how the red flowers pop off the black BG.