PDA

View Full Version : Calla #2

Ed Vatza
04-12-2009, 04:53 PM
As I said yesterday (see Calla #1), most of the images I made of the Calla Lily were shot between f/16 and f/22. So while some are close-ups/macros, they are not abstracts like Calla #1. Here is one of the close-up images from yesterday's Calla Lily shoot.

Same set up as for Calla #1.

5.0 sec @ f/22; ISO 100; +1/3 EV; FEC 0

Richard Lovison
04-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Another beautiful composition Ed. Love the shades of purple against the dark background.

denise ippolito
04-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Ed, Another beauty-I love this look! The black BG is perfect,your composition is very interesting!!

Julie Kenward
04-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Gorgeous flower, Ed. I do wish there was a little more focus to the yellow center - I think that would be a great hidden nugget for the viewer to find. As is it's still top work.

Ed Cordes
04-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Composition is great Ed. I like the wonderful curve and the slightly OOF petal tip. The barely visible stamen and black BG really set this off well.

massimomossi
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Lovely! The in-focus edge really does it for me. I wonder if it might have been possible to trace that curve all the way around rather than cutting it off at the top; just a minor gut reaction on first viewing. The implied continuation in the curl is there, and maybe the less-literal rendition is best.

My compliments!
Massimo

Gus Cobos
04-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Ed,
I like the compositional balance of your flower, I would suggest on toning down the whites just a hair and increasing the saturation and contrast very slightly, and selective sharpen the contour along the edge of the flower...good show...I like it...:cool:

Ed Vatza
04-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Ed,
I like the compositional balance of your flower, I would suggest on toning down the whites just a hair and increasing the saturation and contrast very slightly, and selective sharpen the contour along the edge of the flower...good show...I like it...:cool:

Hi Gus,

I have to admit that I am really confused by this critique. Looking at the image, I think i could better understand if you say to brighten the whites as opposed to tone them down.

Color saturation particularly on the purples looks just about right to me. Any more and they would oversaturate.

And I am not sure which edge you are referring to. If the long edge reaching from UL to LR, I sharpened that edge almost to the point where I felt one more pass would oversharpen it. I can't see sharpening it any further. Or were you referring to another edge?

Just trying to better understand your critique, Gus.

Anita Bower
04-18-2009, 04:11 PM
This composition has tension in it. My eye goes from top left to bottom right, and can follow the edge of the petal. Dark BG sets off the colors nicely.