PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Caracara locations

Lana Hays
04-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Finally....spring break ! I've been in St. Petersburg since Thursday and have until Saturday. I've yet to get an image of a Caracara and would love one. I was at Joe Overstreet yesterday and only saw a flyover and had little luck there in past years. I checked out the area around Myakka but saw none today. Any suggestions for a good location.....where I can comfortably photograph without risking life, limb, or a ticket?

Thanks

Jim Neiger
04-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Drive the Canoe Creek road area very early in the morning. When you see a road kill, check the area very carefully for Caracaras. If they aren't present and you have time, wait nearby for the Caracaras to come to the road kill.

Lana Hays
04-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Jim
I did that a year or so ago.....there was just too much traffic to safely wait or shoot when one was there. I slowed down to check the road out yesterday and some guy in a truck got very angry....shooted, tooted the horn, and followed me into a parking lot near St. Cloud. I thought there was going to be a confrontation but he finally just moved on.....I was doing 40mph.

Jim Neiger
04-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Jim
I did that a year or so ago.....there was just too much traffic to safely wait or shoot when one was there. I slowed down to check the road out yesterday and some guy in a truck got very angry....shooted, tooted the horn, and followed me into a parking lot near St. Cloud. I thought there was going to be a confrontation but he finally just moved on.....I was doing 40mph.

There must have been a fishing event or something. Normally, Canoe Creek road at dawn has little traffic. Next time you come to town, let me know and I'll show you how to get the Caracaras safely.

Layton E Parham
04-12-2009, 08:02 PM
I frequently see them at Viera Wetlands.

Lana Hays
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys. I may try Viera later this week....depending on the weather and my back. I've never been to Viera so I'd say it's a good time to visit.

Jim Kranick
04-13-2009, 09:11 AM
There is a breeding pair at Viera with a few youngsters this year. Look for them along the fencelines. They seem to like it there as well as in the wetlands of the cells.

Mike Tracy
04-13-2009, 11:25 AM
I can almost always find them in on Lake Cypress Road and the pastures on either side. This road is around 8 miles north of Overstreet and is off of Canoe Creek rd. Cypress Lake is a dirt road that dead ends into a fish camp so traffic is minimal.

Nancy A Elwood
04-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys. I may try Viera later this week....depending on the weather and my back. I've never been to Viera so I'd say it's a good time to visit.

Lana there are definitely a pair and two juveniles at Viera. http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34330 takes you to the thread where I posted an image I took Sunday at Viera of one of the juveniles. If you look at my website, www.naturesportal.net (http://www.naturesportal.net), and look up recent images, click on the upper right map it box and you will see a google map come up with all the locations. The juveniles are very tolerant of folks and if you are patience you should get your shot. Hope that helps:).