PDA

View Full Version : Waikane Falls

John Lowin
04-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Beautiful falls on the road to Hana, Maui, Hawaii. After a rain this is an amazingly beautiful water fall that attracts many photographers. Tourists are frequently parked far up the road to capture a photo. I hope you like my image, thanks for looking. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/29 .60 ISO 200 @65mm
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM
Gitzo CF 1228 tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

Fabs Forns
04-12-2009, 01:07 AM
I love the diagonal fallof the water and the silkiness created bu the slow shutter speed. The vegetation on both sides serves as nice framing to the scene and it accentuates the mood.
Well done.

Lance Warley
04-12-2009, 03:53 PM
The water looks like cotton candy. Beautiful.

Roman Kurywczak
04-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey John,
Very nicely composed with the vegetation on both sides....considering that some light is coming in and hitting the falls.......you handled the exposure nicely. The forward bright area of the water is a bit distracting........but considering the light......I think this was nicely done.

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Looks like a dream!
Yes that silky water is gorgeous! the only thing I am not too sure about is the fact that there seems to be too much light on the vegetation, of course caused by the sun rays but that's it. Great.

Robert Amoruso
04-13-2009, 08:56 PM
I like the comp too but suggestion a reverse s-curve to tone down contrast.

See this for info on reverse s-curve. http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434

John Lowin
04-14-2009, 08:48 AM
I like the comp too but suggestion a reverse s-curve to tone down contrast.

See this for info on reverse s-curve. http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434

Hi Robert< I used a reverse S-curve and adjusted color in selective color. I feel that the water now looks dirty, and lacks the sparkle that the sun gave it. What do you think? - John

Rich Ikerd
04-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Very good capture of this elusive waterfall John - not always easy to get a good composition without endangering yourself. The harsh light detracts a bit (hard to get to the falls along the Hana Road for the sweet light times) but the silkiness you've given the waterfall helps soften that light some. The reverse s-curve does get the water a bit murkier - you might try masking out some of the curves layer (maybe with a gray brush) to see if that gets back the sparkle of the original.