PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owl on Driftwood

Axel Hildebrandt
04-11-2009, 02:45 PM
This is one that I made in December. I played around with different compositions and came up with this.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/111182641/original.jpg

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/400s, f/8, EC +0.33, ISO 400, cropped from horizontal

Dave Mills
04-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Axel, thought I could strengthen the image slightly with a crop and giving a wee bit more color to the backround which would make the owl stand out more.
I think the comp is very nice and the owls' placement being just right within the frame.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Good suggestion, Dave! I gave it more room so that the perch would not overpower the image.

Randy Stout
04-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Axel:

Nice technicals, fine look back from the owl, I like the diagonal of the perch.

IMO, the perch is too overpowering, even with your original crop. It tends to downplay the bird, almost shrink his impact. In particular, the hump in the middle draws my eye.

Just my .02. I try to go with my very first impression when viewing an image, and thats how it struck me.

Randy

arash_hazeghi
04-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Awesome shot, the snowys are so handsome! I agree the perch somewhat distracts from the bird but nevertheless it's an excellent shot

david cramer
04-11-2009, 04:34 PM
The perch does dominate the image. If you've got the pixels perhaps a much closer crop would help. I like the rework to the sky, but I don't like what it did to the log color.

Bill Jobes
04-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Fantastic, Axel.

I favor Dave's post, as I too was wondering what to do with all that sky on the left.

The driftwood, to me, adds so much character to the scene.

The evenness of the lighting adds a peaceful quality.

David Roach
04-11-2009, 05:11 PM
I like the placement of the owl in this one, but I still like the original best. Maybe because I see the driftwood as an integral part of the shoreline image. The owl is obviously the main focus and where your eyes will ultimately rest.

phillane
04-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Hey Dave like the color management of the repost :D The main detriment to this image is the fact that your eye is immediately drawn to the perch and not the main subject which is the Owl. IMO The strong lines and textures of the perch overshadow this magnificent subject, perhaps getting a little bit tighter and changing the angle could have made this a stronger image.

James Shadle
04-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Axel,
I prefer the original, color and crop.
When I look at the image all I see is the Owl. The perch IMO does not over power the image, it is a large complementary element.

Steve Canuel
04-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Axel,
I also prefer the original. Although the log perch is large, the angle of it, and the position of the owl, acts as a stair for me, leading me to the owl from the sand. The look back of the owl stops me at him.

Stu Bowie
04-12-2009, 01:12 AM
I prefer the original, as with a vertical crop, I like more space on top. Overall, loads of space, and what perfect eye contact. Excellent exposure on the snowy, and lovely soft colours throughout the image. Congrats Axel, an outstanding image.

Mike Lentz
04-12-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't mind the log personally. I can see where it may be a challenging comp, but like what you have done with it. (upper right rule of thirds)

Alex Mody
04-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I like the composition, and either crop works for me. I love the perch and grey background. This is definitely a unique Snowy Owl image!

Grady Weed
04-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Axel, you original image is a perfect image. The owl is the main focus. The crop is fine. I'd love to have this one in my files. I think it is one of your best so far.