PDA

View Full Version : Stumped

Stuart Frohm
04-11-2009, 08:18 AM
PentaxK100D, Takumar F-28-80 at 80 mm and f.45, handheld, spot metering, ISO400.
Cropped. Minimal processing in iPhoto '08. My tripod and monopod were elsewhere.
This is an early photo in a series of bark and wood photos I recently began.

Ed Vatza
04-11-2009, 07:01 PM
This is a difficult image for me to critique, Stuart because the subject matter doesn't "excite" me. That said, I do find the patterns and textures in the wood to be interesting and captured well. The rings do bring me into the center and provides a resting spot for my eye. I guess what I'm saying is that technically, the image looks pretty good to me. And if the subject pleases you, you've got yourself a winner.

Julie Kenward
04-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm also having trouble with the image but for a slightly different reason: my issue(s) are with the composition and the tonal range.

For me, I would want to see more of that top section that is on the diagonal - at least a third of it to be that part and the other 2/3's to be the round area. It seems like it's in the way here because it doesn't have enough of the space to be important to the image.

Also, it's all gray. For me, I like variety - I like different tones of black, white and grays if the image is going to be so limited in color. You might look at burning and dodging some of the different areas to bring out more depth and detail in the wood. This image should be all about the texture and I'm just not getting that from it all being the same shade of gray.

Mike Moats
04-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Hey Stuart, how's it going. I like the contrast in design and textures between the areas divided by the diagonal line.

Stuart Frohm
04-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks to all.
I plan to return at different times and to reshoot at various angles.
All best,
Stu